Hi Kevin: you can get a list of fish dealers from Nebraska fisheries. I would guess that Kansas also provides such a list. In Nebraska, there are only two people that handle a variety of fish. They are Richard Carlson at Wayne (402-375-3262) and Rex Ostrum at McCook (308-345-4795). Both of these people travel widely to deliver fish. There are many other people that handle smaller numbers of species.

You're far enough south to use the standard 80% bluegills and 20% redear sunfish combination. If you get enough water that your lake won't winter kill, my bias is to stock these species immediately. I would also add fathead minnows immediately. This time of year, getting larger fish is usually easy and cheap. Read everything you can here about establishing the microflora and fauna in your lake. I have no idea what your fertility is but obviously all of these living things need food. Once you get a spawn next spring, you can add predators.

It is always interesting to hear about new lakes. Can you add more about your goals, how your lake is filling, about the spring, watershead and how you want to use your lake. Good luck!

Norm Kopecky