I'm about to make a post that makes me sad. It's going to be quite negative, and maybe some of you will encourage me to pull the post, but I need to have my say.

After years of discussions regarding Georgia Giants, and many conflicting reports as to "what they are", and "how they perform", I decided that the scientist in me would have to order some.

I contacted Ken Holyoke at Ken's Fish Farm, and his assistant Deb. Deb was very cordial and offered to help me in what would eventually be an article in regards to Georgia Giants.

I made a rather sizable order, and anxiously awaited their arrival.

I started with a brand new lined pond that was specially set up with a feeder, and aerator and a continuous fresh water supply.

When the fish arrived they were in awful condition. Probably 30 percent of the Georgia Giants in the tank were stone dead, and the other 70 percent were piping at the surface. We did our best to revive the fish, and the drivers, to their credit, tried to find the best remaining fish for me.

Like an idiot, I paid them, thinking that at the very least they would replace the fish if they didn't make it.

Following are some pictures of the 25 fish that survived out of the several hundred Georgia Giants that were delivered.

As you can probably see my Georgia Giant project was essentially a total loss.

Now here's where it gets interesting. Deb King, who I really respect and I believe did her very best, left information for the people at Ken's Fish Farms that they would need to replace these fish. But when I called them for replacement of the Georgia Giant hybrids a few moments ago they went on an absolute tirade, accusing me of making the story up, accusing Deb King of making promises that she shouldn't have made, and here's the very worst part..

"They said they could replace the Georgia Giants if I provided proof of their demise, but that they could only UPS fish (one inchers I assume) and that there would be a 250 dollar "handling and shipping fee".

I almost couldn't believe my ears. Here I am, trying to be totally flexible on the size of fish, and when I'd take delivery, and they're practically yelling at me on the phone as the lady, (will remain unnamed), is getting angrier and angrier as the conversation went on.

I ask you, is this the way to run a business??

If I would have paid the 250 bucks for handling and shipping, and gotten 400 1 inch fish, it would have been more expensive than hybrid sunfish should be at full cost!

I'm still a little stunned that Ken Holyoke runs a business so lacking in customer service, but I guess that maybe I shouldn't be. The Georgia Giant came in poor condition, looked an awful lot like a standard green sunfish bluegill cross, and came with disease and highly stressed.

I'd like to make the point that Deb treated me great and I got the impression that Ken's Fish Farm was using her as a scapegoat for their own greedy practices. I can see why Deb left them. I'm sure that she eventually came to realize that there was something fishy about their business. I wish her luck and hold absolutely no hard feelings towards her.

I know, I know...I was stupid for taking a chance with them. Many of you warned me that something like this could happen. But I thought I'd try to end the debate once and for all.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.