Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Cat, how can you make the water levels reliable? Are there periods of time that they are just dry?

Bruce,

The thought of a windmill mentioned above is based on the normal three dry months we have here. To keep the 10 x 25 x 6 foot hole full of water, I'm thinking I need far less than 10 gph. I'm hoping that a significant amount of water over that limit should flow back into the main pond. I'm more concerned about oxygen levels and ammonia if my fish grow too much during the warm weather.

Hopefully, all of this should be realizable with a small pump, and should have minimal effect on my main pond level if I pull the water from there.

As you mentioned above, pulling water from the center level of my main pond may provide the best water.

I've also got an unused two-story 3000 square-foot building on my property. It is well insulated, with a concrete floor, a 200 amp electric service, heat, telephone/wideband internet, and air conditioning. It is about 600 feet from my house and about 1000 feet from my pond. The previous owner used it as a taxidermy studio. The well that also feeds my house, feeds this building. The well was rated at 24 gpm when it was drilled. I keep thinking I need to put this building to use -- I just don't know for what purpose.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!