Russ, Thanks for the advice. I agree and at first didn't think it would be good to introduce fish from another place into the pond. However it would have been from one of his ponds that he has over stocked. As for the gambling of transporting the fish, in NY state I have a permit to transport any amount and any kind of fish as long as it falls within my farm pond stocking that I filled out with the DEC, thus I am not worried about that. Its kind of nice that they allow that here and they don't even charge you for that permit!! ( hey sometimes the government acutally works for you, not often but sometimes )

As for supplimenting the natural food base with feed, I do not plan to do that. I am trying to ballance the pond without introducing orhaving the fish rely on additional feed. I know that this will cause the fish to grow slower or even stunt. Fortunatly my goal is not to have trophy fish, more for my sons to have fun catching some fish and if over time I get some larger ones there then that is cool as well.

Truth be told, I think I have had more fun in my little boat out on the pond, watching the minnows and frogs and all other pond life start to develop. I don't know if catching the fish will be as much fun as developing the structure and seeing the pond come to life. Its truly amazing how the life shows up. I found I have snails and black water beatles and water striders and ... without ever putting any of them in the pond. Thats just soooo cool!!

Ahhh well, thanks again for the advice.

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY