I'd like to propose something called the "Baird Method". It's a result of my continuing obsession with Cecil's giant trout and perch that he's raised. Of course, Cecil, if you want to edit or rewrite anything that I've written please let me know.

Here's my definition, both long form and short form.

Long form definition: The Baird Method of raising big fish involves a combination of well water, vegetation management, high flow through and general aquaculture concepts to raise the biggest fish possible.

Short form definition: Smaller pond = Bigger fish

The more I've studied what Cecil Baird does, the more I've come to realize that if you're raising fish on 20 gpm of well water, you can manage water quality much more effectively in a smaller pond than a bigger pond. The more time that a drop of water spends in a pond, the more time it has to lose quality, i.e. gain ammonia, or single celled algae. Another way to put this is to think about how many fish can be raised in a hatchery raceway. The number of fish per gallon of water is stupendous compared to, say, a one acre pond. Cecil's "ponds" are essentially well managed raceways.

I've found that I can easily raise and grow 100 pounds of fish in a 400 gallon tank if I flow through 1.5 gpm. That same 1.5 gpm flowed into a 250,000 gallon pond will only support about 250 pounds of fish. I believe that the secret is the turnover or flowthrough rate. High turnover means that the water essentially doesn't have enough time to become fouled.

Cecil's ponds are big enough to fish and have fun at, but small enough that they resemble giant raceways. This is evidenced by the fact that Cecil can support a year-round trout fishery in his climate.

Anyway, here is my idea.

I'd like to take my Dad's pond, which I budget 10-15 gpm in the summer, and use that water to cycle through a micro-pond that is only about 216 square feet, and an average of 3.5 feet deep. That's 756 cubic feet, right? And about 5,600 gallons? I think this micro-pond can be used to raise easily 100-150 pounds of fish. It can also be readily cleaned, emptied, or filled at a whim. I would also like to place several of the Floating Island International islands in it for cover, and waste management.

Now comes this initial question to all of you pondmeisters. \:\)

My Dad and I measured out the intended dimensions of the pond this morning and here are the pictures.

My Dad is standing inside the "dam" if you will.

The question is this. What is the best way to tie in the pond liner to the edges of the embankment? My initial idea is to create a flat "edge" all the way around the pond that I can place what are commonly referred to as pavers to hold the liner down, then bury the liner just outside of the stones.

Is there a more elegant way to do this? I just really want it to look as good as possible.

I think that this sort of project might have some value to lots of other pondmeisters who have a well, or even a heat pump discharge near their pond. It could serve as a holding area for bait, or it could be used for a mini fishing experience for kids, or you could raise big brown trout. Almost anything is possible.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.