DIED,
Some things to consider:
-Lcds are more energy efficient than plasmas.
-If you are not planning on hanging the tv on the wall, will do most of your viewing at a 60* angle or less to the screen, and if you can fit a 12-15" deep set in your room, you will get the most bang for your buck with a dlp rear-projection (the only problem is that it will not be quite as "bright" as a plasma).
-I don't want to start any controversy, but Sony has done a good job of convincing the public that they build quality products. Don't believe this blanket statement. Like most other companies they have certain lines that are reliable and certain lines that are not.
-If you are near (less than 60 miles) a broadcasting station and are not blocked by hills or mountains, an antenna can do some amazing things and will also give you the best HD signal there is. No compression goes into the signal, like it does with cable and satellite.
-If you decide to go with one of the high-def dvd formats, I would recommend Blu-Ray. Warner Bros. has recently decided to exclusively release through that format, so the only remaining exclusive studios left with HD-DVD are Universal and Paramount (rumors have been going around that Paramount has an "out" in their contract with HD-DVD that if Warner decided to release exclusively with Blu-Ray, then they can cancel their exclusive contract with HD-DVD). HD-DVD will have a Super Bowl commercial, but don't let that fool you, "experts" are saying it is a last ditch effort to prolong the "war".
-When/if you decide to go with HD sources, be sure you have the correct cables and have them hooked up correctly. Come here for guidance when the time comes and I will guide you through it.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp