Originally Posted By: Tororider
Bruce,
. The reason I mention this is that you said you need a way to tranq them, they used some type of oil, I can't remember the name. They said it was a topical numbing agent for humans, but acted as a sleeping pill to fish. If I see the show on again I will write down the name of the oil.

Clove oil.
I can't remember the dosage,and can't seem to find the bottle I had, but I used an EYE DROPPER to add it,so it was a low concentration. I didn't like using it, prefer MS222.
And clove oil makes fish even harder to handle (think:slippery)

ETA: We used to make up a stock solution using 1ml of clove oil (Eugenol) to 10 ml of 90% ethanol,(1:10) to help disperse the oil in water.

We started with 1 ml of this stock solution to 2.5 gallons of water, and worked from there, depending on the reaction of the fish. Varies by species, temp, water chem., etc, so start low and adjust as needed until you have a handle on it. And have a tub of regular water on hand in case to fish go out too hard/fast.

*** Don’t believe that it is a FDA approved fish anaesthetic, so information is for educational purposes only.

Last edited by JHM; 01/10/08 10:19 AM.