Firstly Dwight is it legal to bring HSB into MN? HSB and walleye would work together if you had proper forage fish. If you pellet fed the HSB fewer forage fish would be needed to sustain both predators. Adding walleye will not work real well if there is an existing population of LMB at or near capacity in the water body. With total LMB competition present, not enough food will be available to sustain the walleye and catch results of survivors will be dismal. Success will depend also on size of water body.

I question if you can even locate any 12"-15" HSB besides Sunil's PA source. To get larger sized HSB in Ohio I had to grow my own in a cage for one to two years. I was able to grow HSB to 13"-14.6" long in small 28"-36" dia cages. Stocker fish were from 4"-6" long.

For you in MN, finding 12"-15" walleye (WE) should not be a big problem.

For reference: a 0.5ac pond that receives high protein 40% pellets near me in NW Ohio has a mixed population of fish that includes a few HSB. Several HSB were caught this summer that were all stocked at the same time; lengths and weights ranged from 24"-27.5" and 8.5-12 lbs.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/29/07 06:56 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management