Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Chadsnider, Kevin Matney, Rudly68, CDB, B BUG
18,570 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,072
Posts559,203
Members18,570
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,676
ewest 21,537
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,172
Who's Online Now
5 members (Chadsnider, Boondoggle, FishinRod, phinfan, catscratch), 710 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I need your input/recommendations on geothermal heating of our 2000 sf home using the pond as the source. I'm looking at this feasibility verses corn burners etc. I know it costs more up front but in the long run--no mad dash for corn, etc. Pros and Cons--be honest. It's a little late this winter, but I'd sure like to have something going before next winter--LP is just ridiculous along with all the other fuels. I'm learning from y'all and any could of, would of, should of are appreciated. Things that worked, things that didn't play out. Thanks! D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Mark,

I am in the process of building a house in NE Hamilton Cnty. Built my pond last year 75' from house location. Complete Water Furnace system installed 2-3 weeks ago. I bounced back and forth between open loop and closed loop both buried or submerged. In the end, I went with the open loop "pump & dump". My decision was heavily influenced by potential pond impact. Many pros and cons whichever you choose.

I think that we have discussed getting together in the past. I'll extend the invitation again if interested in seeing & discussing this recent install. (and of course give my wife a break on my incessant pond talk)

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There has been a few good threads on Geo HVAC. The search function picks up a couple:
Geo thread
another
another

-
I only went back 3 years, searching geothermal in the subject only. We have a few members on the forum (check in Blaine as one more) that have geothermal systems. It sounds like the winner. Also, Water Furnace brand keeps popping up as the standard of the industry. I spoke briefly with our electric coop energy conservation guru and he promoted the same brand as popular and reliable. This outfit has really piqued my interest.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have a Climate Master with a loop sunk in my pond about 100' from my house. My house is a little more than twice the size of yours, all electric and my bill was around $100/mo year round. It went up about $20-$30/mo when I added bottom diffuser aeration...against the furnace mfg. recommendation. The increase in cost was proportional to the expected consumption of the compressor. My wife keeps the thermostat around 74 degrees, a bit warm for me but we have a 1 year old. No drawbacks with the system I can see after 5 years. It's quieter than the 10 year old propane furnace at my last house. At one point I questioned my decision to go with the closed loop but now I feel it is the best option since there is no maintenance of filters that is required with a pump/dump system. My house was built in 2002 and has 2x6 walls, Tyvek, every stud was caulked, R19 in the walls R50 in the ceiling and a full basement with insulated walls. 32 windows and 5 exterior doors that are middle of the road quality with LowE glass and argon double panes.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Great information. Brettski, I'm headed to those shortcuts. Blaine, I may take you up on that offer.
I too have 2x6s, R30 walls and R38 ceilings, 29 windows and 6 exterior doors--house is 9 years old brick, two story, 9 foot ceilings and two cathedral ceilings. When we built I tried to plan ahead energy-wise, I just wish I'd done the geo back then--thought it costly then--no better now--it would have more than paid for itself by now. I'm paying about $280 a month average for this LP usage and with it going up, we know we have to do something! My electric consumption has never been a problem. It's those winter LP bills that run $1,000 plus a month that drive me c-r-a-z-y! \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oh yeah...there should be some minimal rebate on the product installation from your electric company. Also, I'm pretty sure that there are tax breaks for some of this stuff. I seem to remember a continuing annual tax break for years to come...?
some good fireside reading

Last edited by Brettski; 11/28/07 09:42 PM. Reason: added energystar.gov link
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My neighbor just put in a pellet/corn burner to replace a wood stove. I think the total cost for burner and install ended up around $4K. For me, the difference between a Geo pond loop system and a heat pump/electric furnace was only $2K. I can't imagine how a corn or pellet stove could be cost effective considering you still have to buy pellets or corn and either have it delivered or pick it up. Don't those things go through several tons a year? Think of the labor alone. Someone please enlighten me why people are buying these.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have been living with my Water Furnace since July. In August it hit 100 degrees + for two weeks in a row. My 6000 sq ft house is all electric, including the water well. My August bill was $300. October was very comfortable temperature wise, and my electric bill was $62. Can't beat that.

The cool thing about the Water Furnace is that it dumps it''s excess heat (both cooling and heating) into your water heater. In August I had 160 gallons of hot water that was basically free. In October, it didn't run enough to make much hot water, so the water heater took over.

I have a six-ton system, which is the biggest size they make. There was some question whether it was big enough for my south-facing house. I can tell you that it is plenty big enough. Mine is a closed loop in the pond.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks all. I'll do some reading/research based on your responses. I wish I had time to get this in this winter but that won't happen.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H

I don't know if this info will interest you Mark but found it on the web. Good luck

Special Financing Program for Indiana Homeowners ( Press Conference: 10/05/07 )
Thanks to the environmental benefits and amazing energy efficiency of a WaterFurnace unit, a lower utility bill isn't the only financial bonus you'll receive.

Tower Bank is committed to making a positive impact in the community. In an effort to promote green building and energy efficiency in Indiana, Tower has teamed up with WaterFurnace to offer an exclusive low-interest financing package for customers like you.

Loan packages are tailored to WaterFurnace purchases so, rest assured, Tower has your specific financial needs in mind. With terms up to 20 years, low interest rates and low monthly payments, it's never been easier to purchase the WaterFurnace system you want.

It's Easy to Get Started
If you already have an access code from your dealer, CLICK HERE. Otherwise, use our dealer locator to find a WaterFurnace GeoPro Master Dealer close to you*. They'll provide you the information necessary to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

* This program is only available to Indiana residents. Tower Bank is an equal opportunity lender.

©2007 WaterFurnace International, Inc. | 9000 Conservation Way | Fort Wayne, IN 46809 USA. All Rights Reserved.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Great info. I've been all over the internet and talking with people with different methods of geo. I found the Indiana rebate offer (still some funding available); hadn't checked totally with the financing options other than my bank.

I do have one more question, if anyone has the pond loops in a pond (and have had them for a few years); have any of you experienced any problems (leaks or such) with this method? I know if the pipe is fused together correctly, life span 50 years (so hopefully my life time wouldn't be a problem), but I'm just curious as to problems, method used to correct--pull the pipes out, harmfulness to fish if a leak would occur. Thanks, again. Almost there--lot of research and getting closer. Will post pictures when I do it.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Mark FWIW.I've had a closed loop,pond system for 16 yrs.Had to replace a pump, some electronic parts and purge the system.Mine sits in 15-17 ft. of water.Works well year round.Be aware that on my system{old} you need to leave the thermostat set pretty much constant.Turning it up 3degrees or so will kick in the 240volt heater. I am always worried that someone will penetrate the loop with a lure or hook.So,I limit line to no more than 10lb. When I need to replace my furnace I'll stay with geo-therm. Hope this helps you.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Appreciated. That's pretty longevity testimonial.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Bernie,
Mine also was set up to run the heat strip if I set the temp more than 3 degrees above room temp. I just disconnected the heat strip. The geothermal heat pump is plenty of heat on it's own.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Jersey: Thanks for the advice. I hadn't even thought of that. I remember being told that the geo-therm unit should keep the house at 70 degree when the outside temp is zero. To test that theory,I turned the breaker off one winter to see,but we didn't get that cold long enough to test it.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Blaine and Ryan I would like to email you tomorrow so you will know who it is from. Paul Weatherholt

paul weatherholt
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Blaine and Ryan I would like to email you tomorrow so you will know who it is from. Paul Weatherholt

paul weatherholt
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
UPDATE: After a lot of research and talking to people, we are installing geothermo system with closed pond loops within the next 30 days -- finally. With the price of LP fuel bills going higher and higher and the fact that we don't plan on moving anytime soon, we decided after much number crunching, timing was right, it would payoff, and take advantage of the incentives out there. Cannot wait to join the many of you who kept telling me how great it is and how low your utilities are. This is an investment in our home and future.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Please...please submit photos and updates. This subject is a biggie for alot of us. The fact that you are retro-fitting will really hit close to home for most of us.
Congrats on your plan; I'm jealous.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks, will do. It was a lot of question asking, a lot of research and learning. Then meeting with contractors to convince myself that this is what it is and and find a reputable contractor(s). Construction Day 1: (starts tomorrow) we meet at house to finalize what they need and how they are going to do what/when as I have a couple of options for going from house to pond. Once we do this, we submit paperwork to State and project has to be complete in 30 days or less. As you can tell, I want the rebate and if anyone is out there even thinking of doing this don't let the incentive go by.

Last edited by MarkECIN; 02/24/08 08:57 AM.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Just wanted to let y'all know, my geothermal with pond loops is almost complete. Pond loops in pond sunk and whole unit installed in basement. I must say, that the contractors I used in the area are doing an excellent job and impressed us with their knowledge and reputation in the area not to mention were competitive with others--I would highly recommend them. Even after all what I read and info I got from many of you, it was still interesting to watch the whole construction/installation and what gets done when, extra items added over the years from learning geo that Contractors now use. To say we are pleased, YES. I'll post some pictures when they are totally done today. And after the five year payback, even better--should have done this when I built the house 10 years ago but like others $$$SSSS always comes into play. Goodbye--large LP bills! \:\)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Poor preachers pond
by Chadsnider - 06/10/24 10:19 PM
*!?&^#@ Muskrats!
by FishinRod - 06/10/24 09:55 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Bill Cody - 06/10/24 08:19 PM
System advice
by Knobber - 06/10/24 07:57 PM
Turtles in my lake
by Bill Cody - 06/10/24 07:31 PM
Green Sunfish to Control Crappie Population?
by Bill Cody - 06/10/24 07:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 06/10/24 04:27 PM
Stocking Bass
by FishinRod - 06/10/24 10:56 AM
New to me pond
by FishinRod - 06/10/24 10:52 AM
Varmint Rifle
by FishinRod - 06/10/24 10:29 AM
Fry Identification
by Fishingadventure - 06/09/24 08:39 PM
Green sunfish making me rethink my plan, opinions