Okay not GW but George1.

You pointed out something I never noticed before, and I am still sleepy and confused. See below:

As a result of the break up of the Chickasaw Indian Nation and the formation of the State of Oklahoma from the Indian Territory, she received an individual portion of land in what was a part of Marshall County, Oklahoma. Later, when Lake Texhoma was planned and then built, this land was to become a part of the lake bottom. The federal government bought her land from her. (But not the mineral rights which have now desended to her heirs.)

When I did a search for Texhoma I got Texhoma and Texoma. Another example, and they go on and on.

Here's a view of Roosevelt Bridge where it crosses Lake Texhoma, looking east toward Durant, Oklahoma. And here's the "welcome" sign at the entrance to Lake Texhoma Lodge just west of Roosevelt Bridge.

I grew up on the Okie side and always called it Texhoma, now after the search in the Tx and Ok panhandle there apparently is a new "Lake Texhoma". Beats me. I sure know where the Roosevelt Bridge, Marshal County, and Durant are, and they sure aren't in the panhandle.

But I stand corrected at least on this side of the river. The thing is there are no bridges across it (with signs) from Oklahoma to Texas except for the one south of Madill on the upper part of the lake where it starts to form and it says "The Red River". Go Figure.

I wish I had the tenacity of GSF!