Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
BTW, some of us have found that fishing doesn't always result in catching.

All too often forgotten, and all to often reminded of .

bbjr, not sure if it will naturally filter. An awfully lot of the waste will sink to the bottom where it will stay. However, that rate of replenishment is encouraging. Post back to Cody about aeration if that might be an option for you. Pretty fascinating situation. We understand that adding fertilizer to moving water doesn't work but, for the same reason, you just might be able to overstock given the water exchange rate. Of course, you will still have a forage/prey ratio situation to consider. There has to be some right balance.

Unfortunately, I have no idea as of right now, how much is getting replenished. I have owned the property for a little over a month, and I was talking to the previous owner after the closing, and he told me that when they were digging, he seen 4-5 springs "shoot out like a garden hose". I am going to go into the pond next spring with some snorkeling gear and a wet suit and do some investigating. Theo had mentioned in one of my other threads, that I may have an artesian pond. I did some research and found that conditions are right in parts of my county for this to occur, and there are atleast 10 artesian wells in my county. This is encouraging and I am hoping for the best.

I believe that I would analyze the dissolved oxygen content, PH and alkilinity prior to stocking.

I tried doing a search the other day with "dissolved oxygen" in the title to try to find out what people were using to test their's with, but I came up emtpy. Any suggestions on meter type/brand or anything? I've been watching ebay the last few days, but have no idea if I should be looking for an analog or digital or any features that I will need.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp