There are alot of lakes that indeed have only one top-shelf predator, or two at most just a few hours north into Canada. There are also alot that WERE that way but 'visitors' to the lakes often take it open themselves to 'stock' their preferred game species. One and only one good thing I can think of about Quebec is that they severely restrict the use of live bait in many areas. Even there though I know of lakes that were Trout or SMB only, or Trout/Pike or Trout/SMB.. or other similar combinations that now are Minimal-Trout/Pike/SMB/LMB/B-Gill/Perch.... most of those lakes end up with very little in the way of Trout left. Other thing that happens in alot of remote lakes is that they get poached out. They may not have many people that fish them but often those that do pay no mind to the whole selective-harvest concept and just keep everything until there is little in breeding stock left. From what I know this was especially prevalent in the 70's-80's in north-west Quebec and north-east Ontario. Never enough game wardens around to look after busy lakes let alone those that are hard to reach.
(oops I started ranting...sorry)

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!