Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kevin Matney, Rudly68, CDB, B BUG, The_Wren
18,569 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,067
Posts559,139
Members18,570
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,674
ewest 21,537
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,167
Who's Online Now
2 members (tim k, Tinylake), 396 guests, and 528 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
Hi. Im new to this Forum and hope im not breaking any rules by posting here. Im a new pond owner in Manitoba, Canada.. My pond is a natural, half acre pond that I pumped out, and dug the center out, down to 16 ft. So its a natural pond, with a quick drop in the middle. I have an Aeration system going on a frame thats suspended 3 feet above the bottom of the pond. Half of the paremeter is a wheat field and the other half is my yard. But there is a healthy 20 ft border of cattails all around as a buffer. This Spring i put in 300 rainbow trout fingerlings, and this last week, after a particular hot week I found 30 of them floating on the surface within 24 hours, and have since then not seen a single fish feed whatsoever. And the past week has been cool. The surface temp of the water was 70f, but has since cooled off. Please give me some information. Is it possible I still have alive fish left? If not.. what did I do wrong?.. Please ask any question, and I'll do my best to answer. Thankyou kindly

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum!

Rainbow Trout will die once the water temps hit 70°F. There is not enough O2 in the water at that temp for them to live. I have seen trout live in warmer water, but there was a bottom diffusion aeration system that was slightly overkill for the pond running 24/7 AND a surface agitator running 24/7. The O2 levels in the pond were high enough to allow the trout to live until the water hit 80°F. It was super saturated with O2.

The only way to tell for sure is have an O2 meter to test the water, but they aren't cheap. Down here we look at Trout as seasonal stocking, typically going in during late October and getting fished out by late May or late June, depending on how hot the temps were in the Spring. (Northern Indiana)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
OP Offline
W
Hey Essup. Thanks for the welcome!..

My thinking, and hope was that even if the surface water was 70f, the bottom would stay cool enough for them to suvive. i have an Airpump feeding two airdiffuser rocks with a 1.5 inch hose, running 24/7 i thought that was substantial, but i guess not.
Another concern I have is that over 50 of the pond; the shallower parts are covered in aquatic plants, with most coming to the surface of the water, or just underneath.. would those help, or hinder O2 levels?..

Around here we're able to keep some for several years. We put them in as fingerlings, and catch them over 20inches .. we need to resupply the stock every year though, as letting them reproduce is not legal.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by waldnermatthew
Hey Essup. Thanks for the welcome!..

My thinking, and hope was that even if the surface water was 70f, the bottom would stay cool enough for them to suvive. i have an Airpump feeding two airdiffuser rocks with a 1.5 inch hose, running 24/7 i thought that was substantial, but i guess not.
Another concern I have is that over 50 of the pond; the shallower parts are covered in aquatic plants, with most coming to the surface of the water, or just underneath.. would those help, or hinder O2 levels?..

Around here we're able to keep some for several years. We put them in as fingerlings, and catch them over 20inches .. we need to resupply the stock every year though, as letting them reproduce is not legal.

With the aeration system running in the deepest part of the pond, the water temp will be pretty much homogenized top to bottom. The plants hinder the pond at night, but help the pond during the day. Without sunlight the plants consume O2 (night time). The most critical time for a pond's O2 level is the last hour of the night into the first hour of day.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: FishinRod

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
David Drewry, Spiveyman
Recent Posts
New to me pond
by Chadsnider - 06/08/24 11:22 PM
Varmint Rifle
by Kevin Matney - 06/08/24 08:06 PM
Green sunfish making me rethink my plan, opinions
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/08/24 07:35 PM
What did you do at your pond today?