Pond Boss
Posted By: scott Clear Water - 01/06/04 03:35 PM
Hello all, I am having a problem with my 2 acre pond. Right now the water is clear as I have seen it in the 4 years I have had it. In some places I can plainly see the bottom in 3 feet of water. Up until now I haven't lived where the pond is so maintenance has been a problem. Is there anything I can do this time of year or should I just wait for spring and start fertilizing??

thanks
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Clear Water - 01/06/04 10:29 PM
Scott, first check the alkilinity level to determine whether you need lime to enable the fertilizer to work.
Posted By: scott Re: Clear Water - 01/08/04 02:24 PM
Thanks Dave. Is there a kit to check that or do I need to send a sample off to a lab?
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Clear Water - 01/08/04 03:32 PM
Lots of different kits available. Look at the links of suppliers at the first of the Pond Boss website. The most reliable ones that I know of use chemical dyes. Stay away from the swimming pool test strips. Those things put my alkilinity level at 15 to 20 and the pro models say 80 to 90 which is consistent with my area. One recent poster here, don't remember who, said that if you are in pine country you probably need to lime.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Clear Water - 01/08/04 11:20 PM
Scott,
Dave is right on the money with his advice. I will add this...go ahead and send a sample to a lab the first time, so your reading is absolutely accurate.
After that, from time to time, check chemistry parameters yourself, and compare.
Posted By: scott Re: Clear Water - 01/09/04 09:08 PM
Thanks guys. My pond is surrounded by pine trees. I will go to the local extension office and find out who I can send a sample to. Thanks, I would have never thought of the lime.
© Pond Boss Forum