Pond Boss
Posted By: mcdorf Correcting bass overstock - 05/28/12 02:57 PM
Last spring/summer I stocked a pond of in Wisconsin with bluegill, large mouth bass and fatheads. The pond is just under 1 acre in size and about 10 feet deep ay deepest point. In april I stocked 50 bluegills and 15 pounds of minnows. In June, I stocked 12 large mouth bass. Then in late fall I decided to put in an additional 5 pounds of minnows. Unfortunately, it appears that the stocker gave me small large mouth bass instead of minnows. I now see lots of bass of 3 different sizes and not very many bluegills. By the way, two aerators were installed in fall also.
Anyway, my fish ratio is now completely screwed up. Does anyone have any idea about how I can fix this without spending a fortune on bluegills?
Posted By: esshup Re: Correcting bass overstock - 05/28/12 06:47 PM
Make the 'coons happy and feed them LMB. Take a pair of scissors with you, fin clip 20 medium sized LMB and either you eat or the coons get to eat the rest. Catch them like crazy. If you don't get on top of it quick, you'll be battling it for a long, long time. You'll never catch them all.
Posted By: esshup Re: Correcting bass overstock - 05/28/12 06:49 PM
If the pond didn't have fish in it before, the normal stocking ratio is 10 BG (or more) for every LMB (for fish stocked as fingerlings).
© Pond Boss Forum