Pond Boss
Posted By: masterbasser316 Multiple Carp Floating - 06/03/19 02:27 AM
I have a 3 acre pond and within the last 48 hours I have found 15 carp floating. My pond has LMB, HSB, WCP, BG, GSD in addition to the carp. I am happy to have less carp since I have been keeping each one I have caught in the last few years. However, my concern though is that this will advance beyond the carp. Any ideas what may be causing these deaths out of the blue?

Things in my pong have been pretty normal the last few weeks. The only thing that is different is that a couple weeks ago I added 3 gallons of pond bacteria which I wouldn't think would be the cause.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Multiple Carp Floating - 06/03/19 02:34 AM
If you figure out the answer to killing carp and nothing else in the pond, you will be a gazillionaire in no time.
I wish I had something to add but anything besides age that will kill a gorp will kill anything else.. Some others "may" or may not float..
Maybe someone here will have an idea.
What part of KS are you, in general..??
Posted By: masterbasser316 Re: Multiple Carp Floating - 06/03/19 02:52 AM
I would love to have the solution for eradicating carp. I just hope I don't wake up tomorrow to other types of fish floating. I'm south of Overland Park.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Multiple Carp Floating - 06/03/19 03:02 AM
This seems to be a strange year for strange things..
Are the dead carp all pretty much the same size??
Posted By: masterbasser316 Re: Multiple Carp Floating - 06/03/19 03:44 AM
Some are almost 5 lbs whereas others are a little over 1 lb.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Multiple Carp Floating - 06/03/19 04:44 AM
Ok, young AND old..
Was wondering about age structure but don't sound like that has anything to do with it.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Multiple Carp Floating - 06/03/19 12:56 PM
Maybe they were over-stressed from spawning (if they are the spawning type), OR some species specific pathogen.
Posted By: masterbasser316 Re: Multiple Carp Floating - 06/03/19 10:56 PM
8 more floating carp today. The bad news is 1 floating bass (less than a pound). Any other ideas?
Posted By: Joey Quarry Re: Multiple Carp Floating - 06/04/19 12:06 AM
It could be carp herpes? Good news is, it is only found in carp. The other good news is, it only infects carp. The best news is, it has a 90% mortality rate.

Look up: KOI Herpes Virus
Posted By: masterbasser316 Re: Multiple Carp Floating - 06/06/19 04:26 AM
Thanks Joey for the tip. I looked up KHV and there is a really good chance it is that. I am now up to roughly 40 dead carp since last Friday.
© Pond Boss Forum