Pond Boss
Posted By: Shorty RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 03/31/13 11:26 PM
I raked a small patch of weeds in the pond this afternoon and found 8-9 RES fingerlings while sifting through the weeds. Quite a few from last summers hatch must have made it through the winter. They ranged in size from 13/16" to a little over 1-1/2" with one that was 2". I am surpised the smaller ones overwintered so well. I also tossed back several hundred tadpoles, the tadpoles don't seem too bright when the weeds get raked as they swim right into the center of the weeds. I spent more time tossing back tadpoles than raking weeds.

For size reference the base of the glass is 2-1/4" across the bottom and the top is 2-3/4" across.

Posted By: esshup Re: RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 04/01/13 01:29 AM
That's great! What size are the predators in your pond?
Posted By: Omaha Re: RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 04/01/13 01:42 AM
Great to hear Shorty. I think the only teeth you have are smallies right? And yellow perch.
Posted By: Shorty Re: RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 04/01/13 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Great to hear Shorty. I think the only teeth you have are smallies right? And yellow perch.

Yep, smallies and yellow perch. I think I might be a little predator heavy at the moment but maybe not. I also had a huge golden shiner hatch last year and still have a lot of 1" and 3" GSH.

The YP range in size from 6" to 10-1/2", 7-9" is most common size. The SMB range in size from 6" to 13-1/2" that came from two sources. The first 20 SMB I stocked are in the 10-1/2" to 13-1/2" size range and the other 47 that I got from TJ as fingerlings last year are now in the 6" to 9" range.
Posted By: ewest Re: RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 04/01/13 02:32 PM
I bet there are more ! Good work on finding them and posting pics. Up in your area winter kills a lot of yoy fish as they starve to death.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 04/01/13 02:50 PM
Great news, Shorty!!
Posted By: Shorty Re: RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 04/01/13 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
I bet there are more ! Good work on finding them and posting pics. Up in your area winter kills a lot of yoy fish as they starve to death.

Right after ice out I spotted five YOY RES that did not make it while walking the bank. My dog also found one adult RES up on the bank to roll in. frown In addition I found one or two small GSH as well, that was it for observed for winter kill. I was very pleased that there very little winter kill. Low water levels from the drought plus 9-10" of ice cover for two months had me worried.

I also found one relative large leech and few dragonfly larvea while sorting tadpoles out of the weeds.
Posted By: Shorty Re: RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 04/06/13 01:31 PM
Found another one.

Posted By: Shorty Re: RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 04/06/13 04:00 PM
A few smaller ones.

The larger of the two:
Posted By: esshup Re: RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors - 04/06/13 05:51 PM
I saw a school of them in a clients pond the other day. For a while I thought they were last years SMB because there were a few that I saw that had a black tipped tail like LMB have. But, the next day I ended up catching a few and they were RES. About 3" long.

Great pictures!!
© Pond Boss Forum