Pond Boss
Posted By: Couppedeville Fish Identification - 08/25/12 11:19 AM
Hi all,

I caught a couple small fish I just stocked this year and was wondering if anyone can identify these fish?

Thanks

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-oWyWUD4FWL4/UDivq61YI8I/AAAAAAAAI4A/udiFAhjS0LU/s800/DSCF0414.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-im2G7dOn1Fw/UDivzUHcMnI/AAAAAAAAI4Q/4AX2QI4zSdg/s800/DSCF0415.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-POufFG5__0s/UDiwrakVw0I/AAAAAAAAI44/AcNAzRbukZI/s800/DSCF0421.JPG
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Fish Identification - 08/25/12 11:30 AM
Green sunfish

Redear sunfish

Green sunfish
Posted By: Couppedeville Re: Fish Identification - 08/25/12 12:11 PM
Thank you so much for your time.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Fish Identification - 08/25/12 12:23 PM
Coupped- Bob has the identifications correct, however I don't think that you stocked nos. 1 & 3 - the green sunfish aka GSF. Or at least I hope that you didn't. GSF can be problematic in that they have large mouths, are prolific, and can often without adequate predation, over populate the pond with small aggressive fish that exert a large competitive force on the other more preferred fishes. GSF are highly competitive due to their aggressive nature and big mouth. Many animals including man are that way, thus making them undesirable. Sorry JHAP. If you remove all the GSF that you catch, and or trap and you maintain a healthy bass population, who relish GSF, the few GSF that remain can grow to a harvestable size (7"-10"). GSF most often make their way into a pond by stream water or unknowing anglers who think they are bgill and stock a pond. On rare occassionsI have seen GSF in with other panfish that are stocked by fish farms. I have even seen a few fingerling LMB in with crappie fingerlings,
Posted By: ewest Re: Fish Identification - 08/25/12 02:10 PM
Nice pic of the small RES (No. 2) !
Posted By: Couppedeville Re: Fish Identification - 08/25/12 06:55 PM
Bill Cody,

I am assuming I got these GSF from my local fish hatchery back in January by mistake. The reason I say this is I did not check the fish I purchased but acclimated them in the bags and slowly introduced them into the pond. When doing the last bag, I noticed a BH swimming out of the bag and a couple of crawfish also. I panicked and attempted to get the BH and dropped the bag which the remaining fish ran for dear life into their new home.

As I was going through several emotions simultaneously, short of a nervous break down, ha ha, I realized I have crawfish mounds all over the area so keeping them out of the pond is not likely. The bull heads will most probably will be controlled by the bass once they have sufficient size so I accepted the situation and started seeking a management of my issues.

Do you have any suggestions on how to use the search for threads on Green Sunfish management?

Also, thanks for spending some of your valuable time & your advise. I greatly appreciate it.

ewest,
Yes, the Redear looks like he is doing well, getting plenty of food. The kids have started catching a few of them lately since the BG stopped hitting. I'm not sure if the feeding of 3 times a day is having an effect but they have almost completely quit hitting altogether.

Coupe
© Pond Boss Forum