Pond Boss
Posted By: nypondguy Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 04:17 PM
Thanks......

Attached picture IMG_0364.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0368.JPG
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 04:26 PM
Okay, I'll try!

1. Not sure - leaning towards Male bc of coloration but opercular tab is kinda small. I'm not sure.

2. Male
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 04:35 PM
Pure strain bluegills no doubt in my mind.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 04:43 PM
Gender, Cecil?
Posted By: ewest Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 06:24 PM
BG

Top - female - possible immature male

Bottom - male
Posted By: RC51 Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 09:10 PM
I have noticed that with my BG the males seem to have the color and the females seem to not have any real color. Is that the norm for BG?
Posted By: nypondguy Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 09:16 PM
Thanks guys....
So different color patterns is normal even if the fish are from the same strain? I catch some that have a really orange belly, and some barely have any color at all?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 10:08 PM
Color variation is normal even amongst the same strain within the same species even from the same body of water... Genetics, maturity, size, sex and the fishes mood can all be factors. When you compare from different BOW's the causes become even more variable.
Posted By: esshup Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 11:10 PM
My money is on ewest.

CJ's spot on his color assesments. I've seen the same thing that he's describing.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/25/10 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
BG

Top - female - possible immature male

Bottom - male

+2
Posted By: nypondguy Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/26/10 12:14 AM
Thanks guys....and might I ask how you know it is a male?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/26/10 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Gender, Cecil?

At least one seems to be a male by the darker breast but I don't see the black scales so I'm not going out on a limb. I would prefer they be mature males during spawning season.

The truth be know from now on I will do a probe with a catheter tube on sexually mature bgs during spawning time, as I'm not 100 percent convinced you can do it entirely visually. I know a sneaker male can disguise himself as a female but I'm starting to wonder if there aren't anomolies out there where females look like males. Theo produced a pic of a what he thought was a gravid female with black scale spots out of his pond that are only supposed to be on males.

I was sure I sexed my fish well recently in my all male pond and I'll be damned if I don't have bluegill fry swimming around! There may have been cage escapees but I'm not so sure...
Posted By: ewest Re: Please Identify these 2 bg? - 08/26/10 02:02 AM
From the PB articles by Bill Cody , Bruce Condello and Cecil Baird.

© Pond Boss Forum