Pond Boss
Posted By: mudhole ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/03/13 05:17 PM
I removed these two small fish from the stomachs of a couple (6.5” and 8”) LMB. Up until this week I have found nothing or very little in the stomachs of the LMB, (overpopulated pond). This week I found 4 small fish, two were not recognizable and then these two. Could anyone help tell what they are? And if so are they this year or last year fish.

I’m new to pond ownership and fishing so any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Michael
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/03/13 05:22 PM
look like bluegill to me smile
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/03/13 07:27 PM
I agree with DIED they are likely sunfish-bluegill-redear sunfish and probably not green sunfish.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/03/13 08:39 PM
If their stomachs are empty now it might because they are post-spawn. They don't eat much when they're sitting on the beds. Pre-spawn my LMBs were chock full of earthworms.
Posted By: RER Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/04/13 07:03 PM
earth worms ? they find that many in the water?
Posted By: KSBASS Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/04/13 07:07 PM
They look like small crappie to me. Do you have crappie in your pond the eyes are big which makes me think they mite be crappie if not bluegill
Posted By: Bocomo Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/04/13 07:22 PM
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
earth worms ? they find that many in the water?

Yep, our pond is filled by run-off from agricultural land. I assume that when it rains, the earthworms come up and out of the soil then get washed down into the pond.
Posted By: mudhole Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/04/13 07:55 PM
KSBASS, I don't think they are crappie. I have not caught one yet in the pond but doesn't mean they are not in there.

If they are BG did they have enough growth time to be from this years spawn or are they from last year. As overpopulated the bass are I would be surprised they would survive from last year. In three weeks 75+ small skinny bass were removed with empty or very little in their stomachs. This last week I catch 4 fish with smaller fish in them. Pattern changes make me curious.

My real question should have been how fast does a BG grow after hatching.
Posted By: Cody Veach Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/04/13 09:27 PM
BG for sure.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/05/13 01:05 AM
Originally Posted By: mudhole
KSBASS, I don't think they are crappie. I have not caught one yet in the pond but doesn't mean they are not in there.

If they are BG did they have enough growth time to be from this years spawn or are they from last year. As overpopulated the bass are I would be surprised they would survive from last year. In three weeks 75+ small skinny bass were removed with empty or very little in their stomachs. This last week I catch 4 fish with smaller fish in them. Pattern changes make me curious.

My real question should have been how fast does a BG grow after hatching.

Definitely not crappie, my feeling is they are BG another closely related sunfish or hybrid.

A lot of factors go into growth rates of BG. How well established is your BG population? Do you seem many small BG in your pond? Is your pond water clear or does it remain greenish in the warmer months?
Posted By: KSBASS Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/05/13 02:03 AM
I agree probably some kind of bluegill I have seined lots of small crappie and the eye just sticks out to me. but if you havent ever caught any crappie then probably a bluegill
Posted By: Sunil Re: ID what the LMB are eatting - 06/05/13 06:05 PM
It may be a late '12 spawned Bluegill, but not from this year, I wouldn't think.
© Pond Boss Forum