Pond Boss
Posted By: ICHawkI Reestablishing a food chain in an old pond - 04/15/05 07:34 PM
My mother-in-law, who lives in Iowa, has a small old pond in her back yard that has mostly largemouth bass and medium to large bluegills. The bass are decent size for Iowa, but slim, and I haven't noticed any smaller bluegills in the pond.

I'm concerned there is a lack of food for the bass and big bluegills. I am considering sinking a bunch of branches and trees and then possibly buying a number of small bluegills and maybe fathead minnows in an attempt to establish a food supply for the bass/bluegills.

I'm new at this. Is there a better approach?
If you have a high number of the small bass you may think about catching and removing some of them. I am dealing with a similar problem myself and have been removing all bass 10 inches or less.
I agree with removing bass...but check their weight and read posts here on what they should weigh. I would also sink some structure for the gbill you need to introduce, but get adults 7+ inches if you can get them. Smaller perch and fatheads will be gone instantly.
You need to approach from two directions. Remove some of the small bass but also set up a daily feed program for the blue gill. When you feed the bluegill - you feed the bass. If she really wants to get things cooking - stock tilapia after the water reaches 65 degrees.
© Pond Boss Forum