Pond Boss
Posted By: Bruce Condello Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/03/08 10:36 PM
Check this out. Really cool.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_story.php?wfo=arx&storyid=2952&source=0
Posted By: Sunil Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 02:14 AM
Is that for real?
I believe so. You can see how they emerge from the waterway separating those counties. I don't know why NOAA would go to any trouble to make up something like this.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 02:44 AM
I bet there are some happy fish in the river tonight.
Have you guys ever driven through a giant mayfly hatch? It's at least as dense as a driving rainstorm...

The windshield wipers have NO chance of keeping up.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 02:51 AM
I don't think they were mayflies, but I drove through about 3-4 miles of thick, flying invertebrates about a week ago.

There were so many, it actually sounded like rain on the windshield.
In late summer I try and have a can of PAM with me to spray on the truck. Lovebugs from Houston to Lake Charles will ruin a vehicle. Also have an extra gallon of windshield washer fluid handy.
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
I don't think they were mayflies, but I drove through about 3-4 miles of thick, flying invertebrates about a week ago.

There were so many, it actually sounded like rain on the windshield.

I'll tell you why I love this post.

We've clearly brought Dave over to the dark side. Any normal person says "midges", or "bugs" or "flies", but NO...Dave says "flying invertebrates".

Clearly a hopeless Pond Boss nerd. ;\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 10:18 AM
Did you guys know a good Mayfly hatch is a sign of good water quality?
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 10:58 AM
burger Never heard of that one! Do you spray it on the paint, hood etc.? A few times a year, crossing the Nueces River north of Corpus C they are thick enough, it's straight to the car wash.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 12:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Any normal person says "midges", or "bugs" or "flies", but NO...Dave says "flying invertebrates".

LOL. Guilty as charged, Bruce.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 12:42 PM
Nerd.
Posted By: bobad Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 01:09 PM
There are dozens if not hundreds of species of mayflies. I bet the biggest ones could make a mess of your car.
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Any normal person says "midges", or "bugs" or "flies", but NO...Dave says "flying invertebrates".

LOL. Guilty as charged, Bruce.

It seemed like 'normal' conversation to me. Sorry for saying lovebugs. I meant flying love invertebrates. You spray the PAM on the grill and hood. Afterwards, to the car wash. Beats scrubbing with baking soda. But, I usually remember too late. Maybe the Louisianans can give a 'love bug watch' this summer.
Posted By: ewest Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 03:04 PM
We get the *&^%$ love inverts as well. I know you do to at the home place Burger.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/04/08 03:28 PM
Up North, we use WD40 instead of PAM. Even though it makes the fried eggs taste funny.
Posted By: george1 Re: Giant mayfly hatch caught on radar! - 04/05/08 12:04 PM
Theo....you are nutzzzzzzz....
\:\) \:D \:D \:D
© Pond Boss Forum