Pond Boss
Posted By: paul0127 Newb with a ? - 11/04/10 04:49 PM
Hey guys,

Pretty new to ponds, have a small Koi pond for the first time in my backyard and I live in MN (pretty damn cold)

Anyway, winter is coming up and I was just wondering if you use a de-icer? If so, what kind? I have been looking around but I figured I would ask to see what you guys though.

Paul
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Newb with a ? - 11/04/10 09:11 PM
I believe I would haul that koi pond back to California.

Just thought I would say Hi. I have no idea what de-icing means.
Posted By: esshup Re: Newb with a ? - 11/05/10 03:34 AM
paul:

Welcome to the forum. I've used a 300 watt aquarium heater in a 100 gallon stock tank that was sunk into the ground for use as a small "pond". That worked to keep it from freezing too thick and the fish in it survived the winter. I had a 300 gallon stock tank in the ground as well, and 3 of those aquarium heaters did the same thing for it. So, 300-400 watts per 100 gallons is my rule of thumb.

Those floating stock tank heaters will do the same thing, but the one that I have is 1500 watts. I thought it was overkill for what I had since the tanks were sunk in the ground and somewhat protected.

My stock tanks are the composite tanks from Rubbermaid, and I just laid the aquarium heaters on the bottom of the tanks.

Dave, de-icing means turning hard water back to soft water. wink
Posted By: Rainman Re: Newb with a ? - 11/05/10 03:50 AM
Nice descrpition to Dave on de-icing esshup....I was going to compare it to the ice melting in the bourbon, but with using electricity. smile

Welcome to the forum Paul!
Posted By: esshup Re: Newb with a ? - 11/05/10 04:24 AM
Rex, "soft" is a relative term. I've fallen when water skiing, and there were some falls where the water wasn't "soft" at all.
Especially when you are learning how to barefoot; both the tach and speedo quit in the boat; the driver forgets that he has on a higher pitched prop than usual AND is driving by ear........ eek
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Newb with a ? - 11/05/10 07:32 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Rex, "soft" is a relative term. I've fallen when water skiing, and there were some falls where the water wasn't "soft" at all.
Especially when you are learning how to barefoot; both the tach and speedo quit in the boat; the driver forgets that he has on a higher pitched prop than usual AND is driving by ear........ eek

Geez, don't you know that when you mention a Speedo, it's a sure thing JHAP will be along to discuss his favored item of bathing apparel? C'mon! You've been around long enough to know better than to bait him like that! grin

Oh, yeah, and welcome to the Pond Boss forum, Paul!
Posted By: esshup Re: Newb with a ? - 11/06/10 02:50 AM
Todd, I don't think Speedo's are JHAP's style (at least now). I was avoiding the "C" word!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Newb with a ? - 11/06/10 11:58 AM
Paul, you will no doubt notice that we digress a lot.
Posted By: Magnolia Rick Re: Newb with a ? - 11/06/10 12:38 PM
esshup
That 1500watt heater my be something I'm going to look into for my pond. Here in south Texas there is only 10 to 15 days that the weather gets below 32. Two little heaters (one on each end) set to come on when water themp gets below 45 degree. I know 3000 watts in a 3/4 arce pond not much but it might just be the ticket. Could use comments.
Posted By: esshup Re: Newb with a ? - 11/06/10 08:55 PM
That'll probably keep the ice off the pond in a small area, but it all depends on how long of an extension cord you need.

That 1500 Watt one is the floating tank heater that your local farm feed stores carry. I don't know what temp it turns on at - there is no external on/off switch, nor an adjustable theremostat.
Posted By: Magnolia Rick Re: Newb with a ? - 11/07/10 12:36 AM
if my pond frezzes we're all in troulble. lol, i don't remember when the last time we had temp under 35 degrees for more the 10 hours( and I'm old) I was thinking about my tipalia mainly. I ran power to both end of my ponds. I'm a Mechanical Contractor so a temp stat that would work in a cooling tower would fit just right in this applacation. Now look what happen an other dang project.
Posted By: Magnolia Rick Re: Newb with a ? - 11/07/10 12:39 AM
Hy if I could keep my water temp around 70 degress my fish would stll take the feed. Bruce watch out I might just get me a gill growing pond
© Pond Boss Forum