Pond Boss
Posted By: Reelmechanic Hi, Im Brad - 06/29/10 01:31 AM
I have been reading all the wonderful information on here for over a year now. Today I started building a pond. My goal is aquaculture of Threadfin Shad. I am building a pond that is 50 feet by 200 feet long. 2 feet to 6 feet in depth. I plan on constructing several of these. I live in Southern Oklahoma. I would appreciate any and all information on pond constructions specific to this fish. Im not too clear on aeration at this point, and need to know a bit more on fertilizing the water to get a good bloom (for example how much). I have 3 wells that will supply my water.

I own a plastic tank business and am building fish hauling containments. Instead of using steel, Im constructing them out of plastic tanks (round). I would love to discuss this with you experts as well.

Thanks for such a great site!

Posted By: Sunil Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/29/10 01:41 AM
Welcome to Pond Boss!
Posted By: Al Davison Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/29/10 01:43 AM
Welcome!

I don't know anything about much of anything but, I do know this:
You came to the right place!

wink
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/29/10 02:24 AM
Reel,

A few months ago we were extremely fortunate to get an incredible Webmaster (teehjaeh57). He is also Pond Boss extraordinaire, and he has has helped us attract a lot of new members, like you, who bring a wonderful diversity and new ideas, like yours, to our base.

You've obviously hit a very interesting topic that few of us know much about, but it fits extremely well into our core. More photos of what you are building would be well received.

We have a lot of people who know about the issues of using wells to feed ponds. We have a lot of people with considerable aeration knowledge. Lots of our friends stock threadfin shad. And, lots of our friends transport fish. So, you are in good company.

Post some pictures of your plastic tanks. Are you providing them with aeration systems? How to you get the fish out? How do you get the water out? What pickup trucks will they fit?

Best of all, my son and DIW live in Edmond, OK. In just the last several weeks, we've attracted a lot of new people within 100 miles of OK city. Next time I visit, I'll be bringing several rods with me.

Ken
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/29/10 02:42 AM
Thanks for joining us Brad... Can't wait for you to share your knowledge!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/29/10 04:32 AM
Brad - hey buddy! How are your fish hauling tanks coming? I was wondering when you'd hop back on the forum! Get us up to speed on your progress...I'm in the market for one of these hauling tanks.
Posted By: Reelmechanic Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/30/10 03:33 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. To be honest, everything is very very slow. I have a business (tanks) that pays the bills and have had very little time to devote to the hauling ideas. My wife and I are building a house and that takes time away as well. I did manage to get some ponds started, so im excited again! I will snap some photos of what I have thus far and see where it goes from there.

Brad
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/30/10 04:21 AM
Is a 50' by 200' foot pond approx. a quarter acre??
Posted By: esshup Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/30/10 04:27 AM
Originally Posted By: hang_loose
Is a 50' by 200' foot pond approx. a quarter acre??

Yup. 0.23.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/30/10 04:54 AM
Thanks esshup, You're right on the ball!!!
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/30/10 01:56 PM
Waiting for some pictures. I to could be in the market for a tank.

Thanks
Posted By: RC51 Re: Hi, Im Brad - 06/30/10 07:51 PM
Yeah I am also interested in the tank for the truck for sure! Bring it on baby bring it on!!! smile
Posted By: Reelmechanic Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/01/10 04:03 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys! Please note, im not trying to spam this site with anything I sell, just gathering info. Mods sorry if I came across like that. I dont want to lessen the value of all the wonderful information on this site!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/01/10 04:08 AM
Absolutely nothing to be sorry about, Brad. I don't see that you did anything improper, other than provide lots of folks here who already have money pits, aka ponds, using up their financial resources and now you've given them one more very compelling reason to spend even more of their money! Let us see some pics of your tanks and give us more details. I'd suggest starting a new thread on those under one of the more general categories as opposed to this thread since it's more of an intro.
Posted By: ewest Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/01/10 02:47 PM
I don't see any problem . It would be good to hear some info on transport tanks. Round tanks are good for TShad.
Posted By: Reelmechanic Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/02/10 04:06 PM
Topic on fish hauling tanks moved to General Questions.

Thanks!

Brad
Posted By: Reelmechanic Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/03/10 08:25 PM
Pond #2 going in!

Posted By: Reelmechanic Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/11/10 05:12 AM
Ponds are fillin up due to rain!

Posted By: esshup Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/14/10 10:53 PM
Welcome Helen. If you would, could you start a thread telling us about yourself, your pond and your goals? That way it won't get lost in the shuffle.
Posted By: Reelmechanic Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/17/10 02:56 AM
Pond #3 complete. Now looking at poly pipe, pvc and deep well pumps to set up. I need to fill these babies up! I have a well 220 ft deep with lots and lots of water!
Posted By: Reelmechanic Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/17/10 02:57 AM
Can anyone recommmend a grass seed to plant around my ponds? Im in 73401 if you need to know my climate. I was told it is too late to plant bermuda....
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/17/10 03:52 AM

Try cool season grasses this fall. Straw erosion mat is worth every penny IMO - if you are due for significant precipitation I'd get it down ASAP. I'm in zone 5 and used oats, hard fescue, brome, Russian Red Wheat, and Rye.
Posted By: Reelmechanic Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/18/10 01:24 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/18/10 01:46 AM
Brad

Call your local NRCS division and ask them for grass cultivar suggestions for your climate. They should also be able to provide broadcasting/irrigation/fertilizer tips too.
Posted By: Reelmechanic Re: Hi, Im Brad - 07/18/10 05:11 AM
I have met with my local NRCS guy, so that is great advice, I will call him...
© Pond Boss Forum