Pond Boss
Posted By: Travis brown "Shooter" LMB - 02/27/13 02:51 PM
I recently read something about "Shooter" LMB. I'm not sure what it means if anything. I was reading some info related to trophy bass. Does ane one have any information on this topic.
Posted By: ewest Re: "Shooter" LMB - 02/27/13 03:31 PM
In LMB fast early growth does not necessarly correlate with trophy size. TPWD did a 17 year study with Fla LMB showing this and other studies indicate results all over the map.

Posted By: Travis brown Re: "Shooter" LMB - 02/27/13 08:02 PM
Thanks, just what I needed.
Posted By: george1 Re: "Shooter" LMB - 02/28/13 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
In LMB fast early growth does not necessarly correlate with trophy size. TPWD did a 17 year study with Fla LMB showing this and other studies indicate results all over the map.

Eric, you just let the air out of my balloon with your “Shooter Bass” post.
Can you give me the reference to TP&W study - when published and native or Florida Bass?

Camelot Bell brood stock selected on basis of fast growth, catchability and confirmation.

Take a look at photo below of six month old “jumpers” that I stocked in our pond the past October and compare them to the other bass in the tank. The “jumpers” are 12-14 inches where as siblings were 6-8 inches.
It’s rather obvious to me which ones Todd selected for our brood stock.
G/

Posted By: ewest Re: "Shooter" LMB - 02/28/13 03:27 PM
George don't belive everything you hear - some people are good salesmen. I like the Camelot Bass and may buy some 10 inch ones to help my genetics. But not because they are shooter or jumper LMB.

The TPWD study is dead on and matches all the other data I have seen on the subject.

I will email you the study. --- sent

Keep in mind that Fla males are small while the females are large.
Posted By: highflyer Re: "Shooter" LMB - 02/28/13 04:45 PM
Eric, very informative. Good knowledge to have learned!!

Slow and steady wins the race, seems like I've heard that before grin
Posted By: george1 Re: "Shooter" LMB - 02/28/13 04:58 PM
Eric, in the business you and I have particpated in over the years, we have learned what to believe and what what not to believe and who is doing what to who. grin
Yes, I do know what is going on about with Florida bass genetics that has not been made public.

I have followed the success of TP&W Florida genetic selection since first introduced in Lake Fork some thirty years ago.

I have learned in my career that "operations" lead R&D and academia.
G/
Posted By: george1 Re: "Shooter" LMB - 02/28/13 05:04 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Eric, very informative. Good knowledge to have learned!!

Slow and steady wins the race, seems like I've heard that before grin

Brian, not in the race I spent my career in.....not so in your career either?
Your C-130 gunship, say what??????????... eek
G/
Posted By: george1 Re: "Shooter" LMB - 02/28/13 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
George don't belive everything you hear - some people are good salesmen. I like the Camelot Bass and may buy some 10 inch ones to help my genetics. But not because they are shooter or jumper LMB.

Eric, I have not had the time to study in detail nor do I intend to, but first dates in the study was begun in 1985 and concluded in 2003, with sibling Florida Largemouth bass.
There has been a lot of water under the bridge since this time and I question the amount of attention paid to genetics in this time frame.
There was a lot of in-breeding going on….as well a other variables….

TP&W uses only DNA tested pure Florida “Share Lunker” 13 lb+ brood stock – no F1’s no matter the size.

FYI, the Camelot Bell brood stock is selected on the basis of fast growth, catchability and confirmation, each year selecting the best of the best – not from “shooters” – that’s my idea – not the vendors of product.

Obviously, I cannot select mature brood stock from “best of best” pure Florida bass, so I will go with the biggest and best every time – which will be “shooters” in my case.
George
© Pond Boss Forum