Pond Boss
Posted By: bus Premier Bluegill - 01/22/10 05:01 PM
Greetings all. As spring approaches I'd bet everyone is thinking about their ponds. I am thinking about supplemental stocking of bluegill thus adding genetic diversification. Since I began visiting this wonderful site, I have heard many great things about Bruce Condello's bluegill and I am convinced I would like to add a small number to my pond to diversify my existing bluegill's genetics. Is it possible to purchase these great fish or their descendants and have them shipped to SE Missouri? Thanks
Posted By: ewest Re: Premier Bluegill - 01/22/10 07:51 PM

Contact Bruce.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=1376
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Premier Bluegill - 01/22/10 08:16 PM
Is Rainman handling any CSBG?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Premier Bluegill - 01/23/10 01:51 PM
Only when I get up that way and Bruce or TJ feel like fishing....
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Premier Bluegill - 01/24/10 02:00 AM
If Scott and I can figure out how to make a fyke net or I learn how to seine my lake more efficiently I should have plenty for you Rex.

Also, one of my repro ponds is designed for CSBG/RES hybrids. I'm hopeful to have plenty this Summer/Fall. If anyone wants any I will let you know when the seine is on and you can all come get some - we can have a little party. I can hear steaks sizzling and bottle caps popping now.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Premier Bluegill - 01/24/10 05:00 AM
TJ, we need to set up a blocking net in your pond and lift it after feeding.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Premier Bluegill - 01/24/10 05:01 AM
In one of the creek arms maybe...I was thinking of setting up two feeders this year
Posted By: esshup Re: Premier Bluegill - 01/24/10 03:12 PM
I'll be over in the Nappanee area tomorrow and I'll make room in the schedule to stop at a couple of Amish canvas shops to see if they can give me an idea on what it'd cost to stitch one together.
Posted By: Magnolia Rick Re: Premier Bluegill - 03/04/10 08:32 PM
before I found this site and got a little education. I stock 400 figerling CSBG/RES hybrids That was in September I have 150 are so LMB in my south texas pond ( about 3/4 acre ) I know the hybird will produce 90% male ( They're about 6" long now ( bass are 10 to 12" now) CNBG product 80% female I understand (jump in and correct me PLEASE if I'm wrong. Could are should I add 100 to 200 CNBG ( 5 to 6" long?. With the offspring of the hybird and the coppernose will this get me back to a good sources to keep up with my bass grouth.
Again ponds about a year mybe a year and 1/2 old. Oh ya I feeding them. Now that it warmed up twice aday. I also add 3 to 4lb of flathead minnow to the pond each month. Seem to make my bass happy.
Posted By: ewest Re: Premier Bluegill - 03/04/10 08:45 PM
Hybrid Bluegill HBG are a cross between bluegill and green sunfish and are 90+ % males. Same for any Redear sunfish cross with bluegill.

Coppernose Bluegill CNBG are a subspecies of bluegill and are 50% +- male.

For LMB forage you want the high reproduction rates that BG or CNBG provide.

Does this help with your question?

Adding some adult CNBG would be a good choice as over time they should reproduce enough to overrun the HBG or any BG X RES cross.
Posted By: Magnolia Rick Re: Premier Bluegill - 03/04/10 09:05 PM
yep that'll be the answer I needed. Again as mention in other topic if you want the right answer go to see someone that been there done that. Thanks
© Pond Boss Forum