Pond Boss
Posted By: Larry71 Gizzard Shad? - 11/07/08 10:21 PM
Anyone have any hatcheries that sell gizzard shad? any that ship as well? I know TS are more fragile, but want to get some gizzard shad for my pond.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/07/08 11:22 PM
Where in Texas are you located, Larry?
Posted By: Larry71 Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/08/08 12:01 AM
outside of El Paso
Posted By: ewest Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/08/08 02:43 AM
Can you tell us why you want GShad?

Posted By: Larry71 Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/08/08 04:20 AM
Want large bass, have large bass, want larger bass and want another forage species.

To quote Lusk: "Every trophy bass lake we have under management, every one, has shad. Every one."
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/08/08 11:16 AM
Larry I look forward to some answers to your ?
I stocked TS and got gizzards from a creek rise a couple years ago. If all goes well Todd O's shocker boat is coming next week so we can see what is left.
What other forage is in there now? I'm trying a GS/FH mix in a new pond with TS next spring.
Posted By: ewest Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/08/08 02:04 PM
Was that comment by Bob about GShad or TShad ?

IMO GShad are ok in very few pond situations.

1. When your pond has both large %s and large #s of LMB over 18 inches.

2. Small #s of small (< 6 inches)GShad in large ponds (20 acres +) where you have a variety of species including large predators ( LMB , pike , muskie , large BC or FHC etc.) would be ok.

3. Possibly where you have an established population of TShad as there is some evidence that TShad can suppress GShad populations. I would want to do further checking on this one however before I used it as an option.

4 Possibly where you want a single dominant forage species such as just GShad and big LMB and can keep adding forage as needed. Point here is BG (lepomis) don't do well as a pond forage population when GShad are present in numbers.

That is why I ask the question - why. When ask about their goals many pond owners say - Trophy LMB see Bob's quote. However when you really explain to them what that means most change their mind and want a balanced fishery. This is especially true when you explain carrying capacity ,population dynamics and catch rates with smaller ponds.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/08/08 09:19 PM
I believe that in his book "Raising Trophy Bass," Bob was referring to threadfin shad when he mentioned that almost all lakes with large numbers of trophy bass contained shad.

From what I've seen and read on here, gizzards have their place in a few situations, but threadfins are the overall better choice (in terms of less risk/downside) for boosting your forage.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/09/08 10:44 AM
I know when they shocked our lake there were some very large LMBass, but not enough 1,2 3 year olds. Everyone we tell just shake their heads when we speak of the gizzard shad taking over. On all the research I have looked up it always says the TFin Shad is better. The DNR in Michigan thinks we should kill all the fish because of the problems associated with G. Shad and how fast they reproduce, I wouldn't put any in on purpose.
Posted By: james holt Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/10/08 03:16 AM
You might consider golden shiners. I stocked them a few years back and they have done well even in a heavy predator situation.
Posted By: Larry71 Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/10/08 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone, I've read all the comments on both types of shad. Appreciate the concerns.

Does this mean that my original question of a hatchery to get the gizzards is unknown?
Posted By: ewest Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/10/08 03:30 PM
I don't know of a hatchery that sells them (GShad). I know plenty that have TShad. Someone else may.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/10/08 04:56 PM
I don't know of a hatchery either.

I've caught some nice ones with a cast net in our ponds. They ended up in our ponds after a flood...we didn't stock them.

I'd give you all the gizzard shad I can catch/net, but you're a good ways off being near El Paso.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/11/08 01:38 AM
"I'm trying a GS/FH mix in a new pond with TS next spring."

Al, when you say "GS," you mean Golden Shiner?
Posted By: davatsa Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/11/08 02:51 AM
Yup, golden shiners.

Shiners, FHs, and TFS will be the forage of choice for our BC and HSB predator combo.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Gizzard Shad? - 11/12/08 02:02 PM
Hello:
I am striking out in trying to find a hatchery in lower Michigan for Tiger Muskie. Anyone out there know where I can get those? One place could get them next fall - thanks for all you do on PBF.
© Pond Boss Forum