Pond Boss
Posted By: Rodger B Grass eating fish - 09/09/08 01:29 AM
I am interested in stocking my ponds with some sort of grass eating fish. Grass carps are illegal in the state of Maryland, is there another alternative? I have large mouth bass and bluegills, sunfish. Each pond is about an acre. with the deepest about 8 feet. No aeration is used as there is a steady flow of water in and out of ponds.
Thanks,
Rodger
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Grass eating fish - 09/09/08 01:49 AM
Welcome to the forum, Rodger B.

Do you know what all kinds of aquatic vegetation you would like to have eaten?
Posted By: Rodger B Re: Grass eating fish - 09/09/08 02:04 AM
As you may guess I am new to this business. I have had the ponds for about 20 years, haven't done anything except stock when they were constructed. I haven't used any chemicals, I do use barley straw. Identiying the underwater vegetation has been difficult, doing it myself. I probably could use an expert. So basically the answer to your question is I don't know.
Rodger
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Grass eating fish - 09/09/08 02:11 AM
Pictures?
Posted By: Rodger B Re: Grass eating fish - 09/09/08 02:20 AM
I just found a website Aquaplant Universitey of Texas, which had some apparently good identification. So I'll try to identify and will get back on the forum when I can talk with more knowledge.
Thanks, Rodger
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Grass eating fish - 09/11/08 06:48 PM
NC State U says red bellied tilapia are used:
 Quote:
Occasionally, the blue tilapia (Tilapia aurea) has been used to control algae, and the redbelly tilapia (Tilapia zillii) has been used to control aquatic macrophytes (coarser vegetation) in North Carolina.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/fisheries/weed_mgt/grasscarp/bio_control.html
© Pond Boss Forum