Pond Boss
Posted By: Chris45 pond just finished, need structures - 11/17/09 07:53 AM
I am a new member and am enjoying reading these posts. I just had about a 3/4 acre pond dug and am wondering if some of the old bois-d-arc stumps would make a good bottom structure. I have a few cedars I want to put in. I would like to stock with LMB and channel catfish and maybe some bluegill. My dozer operator said he had a lot of perch he would sein and give to me. I know I should not overdo it but am just learning. Any advice on structures and fish compatibilty would be appreciated.
Welcome to PB Chris. Where are you in Texas? It matters because water quality varies by region. In pine tree country, there is a good chance that you will have to lime and then fertilize to get a good planktonic base. Lots of information here regarding water quality. Prior to stocking, I would have the water tested. You can find info on the TAMU website on how to do it and where to send the sample.

Yeah, the old stumps ought to be OK.

You might want to rethink your stocking mixture. Bluegill are actually the backbone of the forage base in a bass pond. And, I wouldn't want to take a chance on anything seined from elsewhere. That is a darn good way of getting unwanted species. The LMB and CC won't survive on bugs. Start, after water test, with about 1,000 BG and 5 lbs of fathead minnows. Let them go through 3 or 4 spawns and add the predators.

BTW, fish are the least expensive part of the process. You will want to do it right.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: pond just finished, need structures - 11/17/09 01:49 PM
Howdy, Chris.

What DD said. If you have plenty of dirt left on the stumps, they'll likely stayed submerged. If they are naked, you may want to stake them down.
Posted By: Chris45 Re: pond just finished, need structures - 11/17/09 02:47 PM
Dave,
My location is in Lamar County in NE Texas near Paris. Thanks for the good information. I would like to do it right so that I can keep the pond looking good and be a source of recreation for me and my grandchildren.

One other question...I saw on other posts about different ways to keep structures submerged and was wondering if driving a t-post about two foot into the ground and tying my small cedar trees to it would work. What do you think?
It oughta work. I've garnished my ponds with some pretty impressive cedars. Make sure the stump end is toward the pond side and not the dam. It keeps lures from getting hung as badly.
Posted By: FRPeeps Re: pond just finished, need structures - 12/02/09 04:56 PM
Chris, I live in Paris and recently completed a 5 acre pond in NE Lamar County. You have come to the right place for information about all aspects of your new pond, and have already heard from a couple of the knowlegeable heavy hitters (not me) on this site that can assist with your questions. Good luck with your project!
Posted By: ewest Re: pond just finished, need structures - 12/02/09 09:56 PM
Take a look at this archive for lots of good ideas.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463
Posted By: S Brown Re: pond just finished, need structures - 12/05/09 02:00 PM
Chris,

Here is a structure we came up with for our clients to build themselves. http://southernsportsmanaquaticsandland....r.152105724.pdf Materials cost about $60 for each one. We add a floating rope and decoy as marker so people can find them in bigger water bodies. While fishing they are virtually tangle proof, compared to trees and last forever, unlike natural materials that need refurbishing every so many years.

Good luck, and have fun with the pond!
© Pond Boss Forum