Pond Boss
Posted By: chiroeye Time to build a dock - 08/24/12 07:05 PM
Ok, the well drillers are coming in 4 days and I've got 90% of the structure in place and the seeding done around the perimeter. Now its time to think about a dock before its full(am I missing anything else before filling?).
I've read a lot and looked at a lot of examples on here and I really like Brettski's dock. I'm thinking of doing something similar without the canopy. I like the sturdiness of the concrete pillars and the look of the wood.
The other option would be the aluminum post/adjustable docking such as you see at Menards, with either wooden decking or the plastic/floating material.
Any votes on sturdy treated wood design such as Brettski's dock vs. pre-manufactured alumimum posts/ adjustable decking?
P.S. I like hard work and construction grin
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Time to build a dock - 08/24/12 07:59 PM
I'm all about the wooden docks...have 2 short mounted and one floating already with at least one more in the works. The prefab jobs are OK if that's what you're shooting for - but I'm of a similar mind as you indicate - hard work is FUN...
Posted By: Brettski Re: Time to build a dock - 08/24/12 09:28 PM
I shared some PM action with chiroeye. I will echo one difference of opinion with his plan: add the roof. There are so many reasons to do it and very few arguments why not to (except, of course, cash flow). Make certain that the overhang is a min of 24" further than the edge of the dock it covers.
Posted By: Zep Re: Time to build a dock - 08/24/12 09:38 PM
I prefer wood too....
but I'm just partial to an "On Golden Pond" rustic look.

However some of the "pre-fabs" like the
one shown below look pretty good. (minus the handrails)

Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Time to build a dock - 09/04/12 11:10 AM
Just be careful with a roof. Found out here that if I put on a roof, it falls under zoning. Then I have to jump through hoops to allow it to be built in front of my house as you are not allowed any structures in front of your house here without approval.

Silly when you are 1/4 mile from the road...
© Pond Boss Forum