Pond Boss
Posted By: chrissnow using telephone poles for dock - 08/14/11 12:53 AM
Just wondering if there would be any problem with using telephone poles for the dock support and about how long they may last being in water. I have access to ones for free that's why i ask thanks chris
Posted By: Bernie H. Re: using telephone poles for dock - 08/14/11 01:48 AM
I built my dock with telephone poles,and 5/4x6" lumber for the flooring and added a roof to shade it over twenty-five yrs ago.It's U shaped so I can pull in my 15 ft. flat bottom boat in. I need to replace some of the 5/4 but other than that,no problem with the integrity of the dock. These were the old creosote treated poles and I've never had a problem with leaching,etc. Go fot it.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: using telephone poles for dock - 08/14/11 02:32 AM
how do you plan to anchor them down?
Posted By: RAH Re: using telephone poles for dock - 08/14/11 11:07 AM
I also used telephone poles for my dock. I have heavy clay and notched the poles and added concrete into the holes. It was built before the pond filled. I did have one pole lift 3" in a recent flood that submerged the dock.
Posted By: chrissnow Re: using telephone poles for dock - 08/14/11 11:26 PM
i figured i would concrete, and i also have good clay in the ground.
Posted By: Aaron Prickett Re: using telephone poles for dock - 08/20/11 03:30 AM
I am building one on my pond now. I set the poles a few weeks ago. My pond has almost dried up, so I could put it where I want it. I had my brother come out and use a big auger from the electric coop (he's a lineman). He's also the one that got me two poles that were in very good shape. I used 5 bags of concrete and had the pole in about 4 feet on each one. ROCK SOLID. Probably didn't need it this deep or this much concrete, but what the heck. It will be under water someday and I won't be able to change it.

The biggest problem I have had is squaring it. I'm not a carpenter by any stretch of the imagination. I suck at squaring even square poles. Get past that part, and you're good to go.
Posted By: RAH Re: using telephone poles for dock - 08/20/11 10:53 AM
Do know about pulling the diagonals to square things up? Make sure that the holes are large enough to allow sufficient adjustment of the posts and fasten boards around the outside to hold those distances correct Then adjust poles so both diagonal distances are the same. It is easiest to get things close and then fasten one pole securely by backfiling and tamping making sure that the post is vertical. Then check the diagonals again as each post is set. I placed half a bag of dry cement under each post and then the remainder of the bag after placing the post. It will absorb moisure and harden on its own. I nocked the posts near the bottom to help from heaving or floating.
© Pond Boss Forum