Pond Boss
Posted By: dennis mcclain kayak build - 07/25/11 05:09 PM
Ok I hve decided to build a kayak. In my researching of kayaks, I have ran across several sites on building. So I'm going to attemtp to build one. I have a stitch and glue plan ordered, but due to expense of having materials shipped, I'm going to build a SOF (skin over frame) one that I found instructions to online

http://yostwerks.com/WoodSOFFrameMenu.html

The model im looking at is the SeaBea 13. It uses cross sections or bulk heads instead of actual ribs. I used to build RC airplanes and am very familiar with this kind of construction method 9 just on a smaller scale). I plan to take pics of my progress and will keep yall updated. so far about 30 bucks on lumber, but I think I have enough wood for 2.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: kayak build - 07/25/11 05:46 PM
This is cool I wish I had the time ( really the patience) to pull this off. Just wanted to mention this will not have the same function as one like Kelly shows in his pics. It will be super cool for knowing you did it and paddling for sure.
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: kayak build - 07/25/11 06:03 PM
oh yea, and i do plan on buying a fishing kayak. But I thought it be fun to build one to
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: kayak build - 07/25/11 06:05 PM
Ok sounds good. Keep us posted sounds like a fun cahllenge.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: kayak build - 07/26/11 10:57 AM
Neat project. Keep us posted, with pics, on your progress.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: kayak build - 07/27/11 12:48 AM
Here's some great boat plans if your looking to build a very light boat, the Rob Roy 14 is neat.
I built the snowshoe 14 canoe about 10 years ago, it is 20 pounds, holds 2 normal people wink and is great for getting back into secluded lakes.
http://gaboats.com/boats/
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: kayak build - 07/27/11 09:59 PM
Prgress so far
I have sawed out the cross sections. This part took longer than I tought it would. No templates, just measurments to go by. I traced off some templates just incase
a: it works
b: i decide to build another.
if it does work and anyone else gets interested in this design. ill scan the templates for you.

Next step: set up the jig

Attached picture crosssec.jpg
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: kayak build - 07/28/11 09:10 AM
You did well for not having templates
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: kayak build - 07/28/11 01:36 PM
LOL Thanks Dave, but lets wait till I get finished to see if thats true. I actually made my own templates on poster board from the the pics and offsets listed on the site. there was alot of erasing and head scratching involved
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: kayak build - 07/29/11 05:11 PM
update
4 days to cut out the cross sections. 2 hours to set up the jig, rip the gunwhales chines and keel, and get it all roughed in

Attached picture gw.jpg
Attached picture chines.jpg
Attached picture keelson.jpg
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: kayak build - 08/04/11 08:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYyvIExWkqU

here is a neat vid on how tough a sof boat can be. I was pretty impressed. The heat has slowed me down a little bit. I have everything trial fit, now im ready to perminantly mount it. Skin is ordered. Im going with 18 ga pvc fabric.
Posted By: RC51 Re: kayak build - 08/05/11 05:37 PM
Cool very cool Dennis. Looks great!
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: kayak build - 08/23/11 02:39 AM
another update. got the frame all but finished. just have to add floorboards and provisions for the combing. I plan on skinning this weekend Im going to change up from the egg shaped that is in the plans and make a retangular shape. This should make it easier to fish out of. i thought of making rod holders that will stick the poles out to the sides were i can "troll". Thats how me and my uncle used to crappie fish.

BTW building one of these is as adictive as playing in the pond. Already got the next one planned

Attached picture finishframe1.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: kayak build - 08/23/11 06:44 AM
Nice!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: kayak build - 08/23/11 09:45 AM
Certainly a talent that I don't have.
Posted By: AlvordFishin Re: kayak build - 08/25/11 03:34 AM
Wow.... Great work. I can't wait to see the pics of it finished.
Posted By: Omaha Re: kayak build - 08/25/11 12:29 PM
That is looking great Dennis! I love woodworking and a project like this would be very rewarding. When you're done I'd love the templates and plans. Sounds like a fun father-son project.
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: kayak build - 08/26/11 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
That is looking great Dennis! I love woodworking and a project like this would be very rewarding. When you're done I'd love the templates and plans. Sounds like a fun father-son project.

I'll be glad to fix you up with something. pm me your mailing address and ill send them to ya. you might wanna check out tom yost site, he has several designs to choise from. also a guy named dave gentry has once called the chuckanut. it comes in sizes 10-15'. im building one of his 12s next. here are the adresses below

http://yostwerks.com/

http://www.gentrycustomboats.com/

ive got the offsets for the chuckanut 10 and 12, and will be drawing templates for the 12. if you want thme, holler at me and ill draw you a couple.

update. cut out the comming pieces last night, and decided to see if id fit in the "hole". I didnt have to butter my hips to get in. even had a couple inches of wiggle room.
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: kayak build - 09/21/11 01:48 PM
well got the bottome skinned. put it in the water to check for leaks before i went any farther. its not as pretty as id like, but it floats. im hoping to get the deck skinned and finisshed this weekend. then see if i can get in it without drowning

Attached picture kayakfl1.jpg
Attached picture kayakfl2.jpg
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: kayak build - 10/03/11 09:01 PM
here are some more pics. didn't turn out as pretty as I wanted, but it carries my fat butt.
almost done. just a few odds and ends left.

Attached picture kayakfloat1.jpg
Attached picture kayakfloats2.jpg
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: kayak build - 10/04/11 01:49 AM
Looks good to me.
Posted By: esshup Re: kayak build - 10/04/11 05:19 AM
Looks great from here!
© Pond Boss Forum