Pond Boss
Posted By: The Griff Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/14/15 12:50 AM
I need to get some grass on my dam ASAP. Can someone tell me what I should plant here in North Texas (Hunt County) and where to buy the seed?
Posted By: Swiss Re: Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/14/15 01:15 AM
You are now into planting warm weather grasses versus cool weather grass given the time of the year. In GA it would be Bermuda/Bahiagrass mixed with other warm weather based seeds.

I am sure the Texas crowd will chime in and add a few more local favorites

Google search:

Texas Warm Weather Grass

Lots of good reading
Posted By: highflyer Re: Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/14/15 01:25 AM
Bermuda is what I would plant and I would go to the local feed store to get it.

I use the 50 Lbs bags.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/14/15 01:50 AM
Ditto on the Bermuda grass. Little goes a long way, spreads fast with a little water and -13-13-13
Posted By: The Griff Re: Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/14/15 03:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like bermuda is the way to go.

Do you all recommend using the erosion control straw mats to plant the seed with?

I've never planted grass before.

Also, about how many pounds would you get for the dam and banks of a half acre pond? I know it's hard to say but just a general idea because I truly have no idea!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/14/15 12:03 PM
IMO I would use them. They will help control mositure to get the seedlings off to a good start as well as helping out on the erosion side. Make sure you don't skimp on fasteners for the mats.
Posted By: The Griff Re: Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/14/15 11:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
IMO I would use them. They will help control mositure to get the seedlings off to a good start as well as helping out on the erosion side. Make sure you don't skimp on fasteners for the mats.

Okay will do. Thanks
Posted By: highflyer Re: Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/15/15 05:01 AM
You can also cover the seed with straw from a round bail if you have a spreader. That worked well on the dam for us.
Posted By: Mike Otto Re: Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/17/15 02:17 PM
You will be stunned how much better the grass will grow where is covered with the mats or straw.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Grass for Dam (North Texas) - 05/17/15 02:31 PM
TG, here's a local to us company Hill Country that I've dealt with. I usually buy the 6 month erosion mats, and IIRC, they're pretty inexpensive for what I wanted. As was said, always use plenty of staples if you go with mats.

Hope this helps.
© Pond Boss Forum