Pond Boss
Posted By: bobbystout Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/16/13 01:09 PM
I was told that i would loose a lot of fish out of my highwater overflow. I have a 8"pipe for a spillway. With the rain we are getting her in EAst texas my pond is filling up faster than the spillway can handle and water is going over the high waterspillway. Which is a low spot with riffraft rocks to prevent from washing. Should i put a screen in front to prevent fish lost or is something i should not worry about.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/16/13 01:42 PM
bobby my experience is that you will lose fish, especially small forage as they seemed to follow the current.

Rigid fencing, available at most box stores, zip tied to t posts "should" keep them in the pond, but be careful if you have floating debris, as it can clog up. I would put the fence on the pond side of the rocks to keep the fish out of the rocks.

Also, using the t posts lets you easily remove it when not needed.

How wide is the high water spillway, and how high is the water going over it?
Posted By: bobbystout Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/16/13 05:16 PM
It is about 8' wide and around 6" deep with heave rains. I might have an issue with debris i get run off from road drainage lot of junk runs down the ditches I have some wire that cataches some of the paper and stuff but at heavy rains i have to do clean up around the banks when the water drops.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/16/13 06:58 PM
I would think 6" would be fine, just keep an eye on it and keep a rake handy.

Believe me, it's nice to hear of someone in East TX that has water going over the spillway.
Posted By: ewest Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/17/13 02:58 AM
Tell us about the fish population. Most times you do not lose to many fish depending.
I don't think I would do anything to impede flood water from exiting the pond. Yes, you will lose some small fish but I would rather lose them than the dam.
Posted By: bobbystout Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/17/13 12:49 PM
right now my pond is new and i have not stocked it. Going to stock with Todd Overton's sugggestions 500 CNB 100 RE 50 HSB and 10 lb of FHM. I was watching the water go over the overflow and got to thinking if i stock it will they all go over.

That is correct Dave i had rather lose some of them than the Dam. I built it on a shoe string budget and no preplaning and just trying to make sure what i have stays. Wife is going through chemo right now and extra funds are low. Would beleve for just one treatment of chemo cost more than it cost to dig a pond 200' x 175' but cost is not an issues wife is worth more than anything. And right now she is in remession.
Posted By: ewest Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/17/13 06:44 PM
Good for you two ! Hope things continue to go well.
Posted By: Zep Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/17/13 07:02 PM
I guess there is many times a dilemma between a fish barrier that prevents fish escape and a fish barrier that traps debris that causes other problems. Not sure there is a perfect answer.
Posted By: bobbystout Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/19/13 12:51 AM
Thanks guys going to watch it the next time I get some rain. All the rain last week went around me only got 1/2 " not enough to run it over.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/19/13 01:29 AM
I have a tube made out of fish cage material that slides over the outlet pipe of my trout pond. I remove it once a day and shake off any algae or debris. If it wasn't there I'm sure I'd have trout in the pond that is downstream.
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Is fish lost great with an overflow - 10/19/13 03:22 AM
Originally Posted By: bobbystout
I was told that i would loose a lot of fish out of my highwater overflow. I have a 8"pipe for a spillway. With the rain we are getting her in EAst texas my pond is filling up faster than the spillway can handle and water is going over the high waterspillway. Which is a low spot with riffraft rocks to prevent from washing. Should i put a screen in front to prevent fish lost or is something i should not worry about.

There is a public pond here that overflows once in a while, when it is done raining a guy can go pick 6" blue gill out of the lower field by the bucket full. Well mabeye only one bucket full but it is fun to see!!
© Pond Boss Forum