Pond Boss
Posted By: johnking Fish Scaler? - 05/25/12 01:58 PM
Has anyone tried these or have one?
http://www.wedgeoutdoors.com/
I have heard they work well but no one really has first hand knowledge.
Posted By: Bing Re: Fish Scaler? - 05/25/12 06:12 PM
haven't ever used one. I really don't know anyone anymore who scales fish. Everyone fillets.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Fish Scaler? - 05/25/12 08:01 PM
Now that is kind of... ahh... lets see whats the word? Interesting?? smile How does it work? You tumble the fish in it like a dryer and boooya they have no scales?? I don't get how they get the scales off I guess??? Is there some little guy in there ripping all the scales off when your not looking?? grin Very cool if it works, but like Bing says I would just catch a couple more fish and fillet them instead!

Posted By: esshup Re: Fish Scaler? - 05/25/12 08:18 PM
When I was a kid, my grandmother, who loved to eat fish would kill me if I filleted a fish. "You're wasting too much meat" she'd say. She scaled the fish by hand with an old grapefruit spoon.

I've seen fish scalers that you pull behind a boat. Rock-it I believe is the brand. I've never used them.
Posted By: k_kindig11 Re: Fish Scaler? - 06/24/12 10:48 AM
Yes we use these all the time cleaning bluegill, but ours is a homemade model. Same concept. Built a couple in the last few years. We use a simple plastic tub with a copper tube running through it which connects to a windshield wiper motor thats mounted to the outside of the tub. That motor we just hook up to a 12v battery when we want to turn it on. The screen that does the scaling is just masonry screen. It has to go on a certain way though, and it's just wrapped around two round disks that are attached to the copper tube. This all sounds redneck I'm sure, but it actually looks very nice and works great once you figure out how much water to put in the tub, how many fish, and how long to run each batch of fish. If you go too long, it starts tearing the fish up pretty bad. Too little and there's scales left on the fish primarily behind the gills. I think we nomally do about 35 fish for 10min or so. It works great to get a batch scaling while cleaning the ones that just finished.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Fish Scaler? - 07/01/12 06:47 AM
$350.00 is a pretty expensive fish scaler..... I like it but they need to come out with a smaller model(like in the $50.00 range).

k_kindig11, I'd love to see some pictures of your model.
© Pond Boss Forum