Pond Boss
Posted By: Barney Leaking Pond - 11/04/15 10:39 PM
A year ago I built a 2.5 acre pond. It is very deep pond, around 25' at dam and 15' in the middle. A slow leak has developed and we lost around 5' of water. We stocked the pond with bass, bream and catfish. I have fertilized the pond and had a feeder running. I have seen great growth in the fish stocked. I do not want to drain the pond to find and fix the leak. Can you spread bentonite around the dam and hope it will sink to where the leak is or is that a waste? It is possible that the leak is around a pipe we put in through the bottom of the pond with a valve on the backside to use if we ever needed to drain the pond. This may be a silly question, but could a diver go down and put bentonite around that pipe? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Leaking Pond - 11/04/15 10:59 PM
Hey Barney,

Welcome to PBF.

Do you see any seepage areas outside the pond like maybe around the other end of that pipe or along the backside of the dam?

Bill D.
Posted By: esshup Re: Leaking Pond - 11/05/15 12:09 AM
Give Tj a private message here. He's got a product called SoilFloc that works better than bentonite.

Tj = teehjaeh57
Posted By: Eric H Re: Leaking Pond - 11/05/15 01:18 AM
Does the water level keep dropping? If so it could point to a deep leak. If it drops to a certain point and stops, water always sits level and would indicate the water leak is at that level

did the pipe have baffle plates/antiseep collars installed?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Leaking Pond - 11/05/15 04:29 AM
Hi Barney

Feel free to contact me anytime I will do all I can to help. tj@hudlandmgmt.com.
Posted By: Barney Re: Leaking Pond - 11/09/15 05:34 PM
There is a steady small amount of water coming out back side of dam near where valve is/was located.
Posted By: Barney Re: Leaking Pond - 11/09/15 05:34 PM
No.
Posted By: Barney Re: Leaking Pond - 11/09/15 05:35 PM
I think it is a deep leak because it has not stopped.
Posted By: Nicole Martin Re: Leaking Pond - 12/09/15 10:54 AM
In first step you have to locate the leak accurate position and then use pond leak repair by Pond Pro 2000.
© Pond Boss Forum