Pond Boss
Posted By: Signal13 Looking for a Pond Builder in Southern PA - 12/07/12 07:53 PM
I live in Southern Pennsylvania (Stewartstown). It's a half hour north of Baltimore and 45 minutes south of Harrisburg. I have a large property which I purchased 5 years ago with an existing pond. It is quite small, circular maybe 60-70 feet across. I'm guessing less than 1/8 acre. It is silting in and the dam is deteriorating. I would like to hire a professional to enlarge the entire pond to perhaps 1/2 acre or a little larger. Can anyone recommend a good excavator somewhat close who is experienced with building ponds and lakes? Thanks
Posted By: RAH Re: Looking for a Pond Builder in Southern PA - 12/08/12 11:20 AM
If someone lets me know how to start a new thread , then I will with this topic: "Pond Builder Reviews". I would like to see how others feel about a new Pond Boss area where folks list pond builders and locations and allow folks to post reviews. I went through a stressful pond building experience this year until locating a third pond builder in my area that could do a satisfactory job (actually they were great). This function on the Pond Boss site might help others find good pond builders in their area. The site does not need to take an official position, but rather just allow visitors to post their personal experience (a common practice with other products on the net). I do not have any idea if folks would find this useful or if it would be hard to implement, but it sure seems like a great service to me.
Maybe that would be useful. My post sure didn't garner much attention. No one knows any reputable pond builders in Pennsylvania?
Posted By: RAH Re: Looking for a Pond Builder in Southern PA - 12/19/12 11:42 AM
I had the same bad luck, but the idea did not get a warm welcome here - too much worry about posts by unsatisfied customers. Such posts would have helped me avoid major stress and wasted dollars. It is amazing to me that a review section is felt to be so controversial. They are everywhere on the net. Maybe we can locate another place for one for pond builders - perhaps in a contruction web site?
Originally Posted By: Signal13
Maybe that would be useful. My post sure didn't garner much attention. No one knows any reputable pond builders in Pennsylvania?

I am sure there are members here that know of one, it's just that they aren't visiting the forum right now........and unfortunately may not for six months or more. All I could say is contact Otto in TX and he might refer you to a local one??????

Possibly someone here can name a few local branches of gov't that could lead you to one?
try and contact Alan Wood with the USDA NRCS in Harrisburg http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/wntsc/waterMgt/contacts.html
Thanks Robert, I'll try that. I'll keep checking back in case anyone can make a recommendation.
You need to know that there are no qualifications for inclusion on the NRCS list.
These guys are just across the river from you in Lancaster County and have a great reputation: http://www.hlwiker.com/index.php?/small-projects/
Posted By: ewest Re: Looking for a Pond Builder in Southern PA - 01/22/13 09:31 PM
Also contact catmandoo (Ken) here by pm. He is in the area and knows lots of people.
I talked to Andy Martin from M&A Excavating and he would be interested in your pond project. I have known Andy for many years and have used him on various projects. I am sure that you would be satisfied with his work. Andy has constructed and worked on many ponds and is located outside Reading. His number is 484-256-4104. Feel free to give him a call.
Posted By: MANFISH Re: FISH KILL - 07/18/13 04:40 PM
My neighbor has a 1 acre pond with an average depth of 4'. Last summer he experienced a large fish kill during a heat wave. About 2 weeks ago he added a vertex aeration system and just had another large fish kill. Any ideas on how to determine the exact cause of the fish kill and how to prevent future kills?
© Pond Boss Forum