Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 "PACK RAT" - 01/27/08 12:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I guess that "RAT PACK" and "PACK RAT" may be somewhat different. But, with this group, I'm not sure.

My wife and I have been trying to downsize for several years. My mostly-understanding and wonderful spouse recently found one of my hidden tackle boxes. She found old lures that I have not used for at least 40 years. Actually, some may have been 80-90 years old -- but these are family heirlooms that belong on the Christmas tree.

What ever it might be -- Rat Pack, or a bunch of Pack Rats, you guys are really appreciated.

This is by far the best moderated forum on the Interne

Cat, I betcha you remember some of these... \:\)

Posted By: Weissguy Re: "PACK RAT" - 01/27/08 01:13 AM
Nice collection George1!
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: "PACK RAT" - 01/27/08 01:21 AM
that's very cool george.....i also have a barb wire collection (combination collected and given).......you've just given me a new idea \:\) one my wife will :rolleyes: at i'm sure \:D \:D
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: "PACK RAT" - 01/27/08 01:38 AM
I've got older looking bob wire than that, george, but it's still in use.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: "PACK RAT" - 01/27/08 02:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: george1

Cat, I betcha you remember some of these... \:\)

Ooooh. George you hit a nostalgic nerve.

As a fishing kid growing up in the 50s and 60s, I was extremely fortunate to regularly fish the wild waters of Northern Wisconsin, Northern Minnesota, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I don't even remember the names of some of those famous lures -- some of which I still have tucked away in old tackle boxes.

When I was seven, we moved off our farm, onto the south shore of Lake Superior -- which was just outside our kitchen window. My father's family still owned a farm that was bisected by the Black River, and my mother's family homestead overlooked the south shore of Lake Superior near Orienta, WI (Oulu, WI).

We used many of the lures you show, plus many others. Our neighbors, the Amundson brothers, owned a lure factory in Superior, WI, that turned out the "KB" series of lures for catching big pike, walleyes, and trout.

I still carve a few lures, I still tie a few flies, and I still bend and paint a few spoons. But, the fish seem a lot smarter now.

Either we need to become smarter, or we need to breed dumber fish. No matter what . . . the the fish and I have sure had a lot of fun over the last 60 years.

Ken
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: "PACK RAT" - 01/27/08 06:29 PM
What a great collection George! I have a reel that was my grandfathers that I cherish. I didn't realize how much some of the old fishing gear was worth until I went to a gun show a while back.

For as high tech as things have gotten some have pretty much stayed the same. I have a red & white Heddon Torpedo that I fish with a lot and it still is a great fish catcher.

Thanks for posting the photo.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: "PACK RAT" - 01/27/08 06:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
that's very cool george.....i also have a barb wire collection (combination collected and given).......you've just given me a new idea \:\) one my wife will :rolleyes: at i'm sure \:D \:D

Why didn't you tell me Dave? I took down some of my internal fencing last June - heck I have several hundred feet of barb wire to add to your collection. Can ya come pick it up soon?
© Pond Boss Forum