Pond Boss
Posted By: Dwight Firefox - 01/20/08 11:26 PM
Are there many Firefox users out there? It is my browser of choice, though I still do use Internet Explorer for certain Microsoft related software and because that is what most of my business clients use.

If you want to give it a try (it is free) you can download it at: Firefox Download
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 12:36 AM
It has been the browser of choice in our household for quite some time. Like you, we use IE only when absolutely necessary.

Ken
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 12:42 AM
Two questions:

1. Why would one change to Firefox?

2. How would one change to Firefox?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 12:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Two questions:

1. Why would one change to Firefox?

2. How would one change to Firefox?

This link answers a lot:

Firefox

I feel that Firefox is less vulnerable to malicious activity. The updates are also a lot less annoying than IE and they take a heck of a lot less time to download and install.

Just download it from the above link. It gives you the option to make it your default browser.

Good luck,
Ken
Posted By: Brettski Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 03:22 AM
I have used and donate to a pretty savvy IT security forum. They have bailed me out and cleaned out my PC demons a couple/three times now. They do good work. Anyway, they poo-poo IE and definitely pump up Firefox (along with a couple other browsers). As Ken noted, it's less vulnerable to malicious activity.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 03:47 AM
Bruce:

If you do not switch to Firefox, Mozilla will destroy the city!

I use Firefox at home (normally; was switching browsers every post during the forum time of troubles) and IE (corporate policy) at work. IMHO Firefox loads and responds faster than IE, in addition to the advantages discussed above (my 16 year old IT manager worries about that kind of stuff for me).
Posted By: heybud Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 12:42 PM
I too am a Firefox user and have been for sometime. My son put me on to it. Seems like a lot less bs on Firefox
Posted By: Brettski Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 01:33 PM
more discussion
Posted By: Sunil Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 01:57 PM
Brettski, you belong to an IT forum???

I knew you were a freak, but an IT forum?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 02:13 PM
Anybody using Firefox on Windows Vista?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 04:27 PM
Right here, Guvnor, on the laptop.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 05:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Brettski, you belong to an IT forum???

I knew you were a freak, but an IT forum?

Yes, I must admit that I have dabbled in the evil art of IT forum discussion. If this makes me a freak, so be it.
but...please remember
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I AM NOT AN ANIMAL!

Posted By: Dwight Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 05:10 PM
I would think that the TAB feature of Firefox would be ideal for moderators. You could put the most frequented Forums and/or threads in tabs and then with a single click move instantly between them. I generally have a minimum of 6 TABs open with the sites that I use all day long. It is a real time saver.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 05:11 PM
Rest assured, Brettski, that you look much better now after your frontal lobectomy.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 05:18 PM
I had been a die hard fan of Firefox for quite a while. Like most folks I switched to Firefox (years ago) to avoid security issues in IE.

In December I switched to Opera. So far I really like Opera. It has a very different look and feel than Firefox. So now I have three browsers on my computer (Opera, Firefox and the dreaded IE - for when you get the occasional website that just won't run with anything else).
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 07:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Rest assured, Brettski, that you look much better now after your frontal lobectomy.

And your secret identity as The Great Mutato is safe and secure with us.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 07:41 PM
Theo, I think you mean "Mutatoe."
Posted By: Brettski Re: Firefox - 01/21/08 07:55 PM
You say mutato...
I say mutatoe...
-
-
-
...let's call the whole thing off
Posted By: Tim Stuart Re: Firefox - 01/22/08 01:17 AM
Dave I use it on Vista without any issues.
Posted By: Bender Re: Firefox - 01/22/08 04:30 AM
I recommend Firefox to all my clients for all the reasons listed above and it has lot of handy add-ons. If you have Firefox, make sure you download the recommended add-on "Ad-Blocker Plus". Ad-Blocker blocks Ads from being downloaded, which results in quicker page loads. The Accuweather module is nice too.

Also, Firefox will spell check text you type into web pages.

Lastly, if you want to avoid viruses, spyware, maleware, etc., then it is a good idea to use the stuff the hackers are using (i.e. Linux, firefox, openOffice).
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Firefox - 01/22/08 04:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bender
Also, Firefox will spell check text you type into web pages.

I never knew Firefox would do that. Who, what, when, where, how???
Posted By: bobad Re: Firefox - 01/22/08 05:14 PM
Jeff,

Maxthon also has a spell checker. Maxthon saves me so much browsing time I can't do without it. When I open IE or FF, I sit there with a 12 lightyear stare.
Posted By: Bender Re: Firefox - 01/23/08 12:20 AM
FireFox will underline misspelled words in red. You can download additional language dictionaries herehttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3
Posted By: Dwight Re: Firefox - 01/23/08 12:56 AM
If you right click on the misspelled word (underlined in red) you are shown the correctly spelled word. Left click to replace the bad one.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Firefox - 01/23/08 02:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
If you right click on the misspelled word (underlined in red) you are shown the correctly spelled word. Left click to replace the bad one.

I just found out that Opera (which is the browser I have been using lately) has one as an add on. I just have to download and install it - which I have added to my "to-do" list as item number 172.

I don't want to replace the bad words, I only want to replace the bad words that I misspell.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Firefox - 01/23/08 02:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
...I don't want to replace the bad words, I only want to replace the bad words that I misspell.

Some choose to refer to them as "little people".
Posted By: Dwight Re: Firefox - 01/23/08 10:09 PM
1-ClickWeather and iMacros for Firefox are two handy extensions to Firefox that can be downloaded at:
1-Clickweather iMacros for Firefox

You can also check out all the currently available extensions at:
All Available Extensions

In a nutshell:

1-ClickWeather displays various weather information including radar, forecast, etc. etc. etc. for a chosen zip code. You chose where you want the weather info displayed.

iMacros lets you record keyboard and mouse input and save them in a macro that you can play back with one click at a later time. You can also program and modify the macro in notepad if you so desire. As an example, I have one Macro named Start that opens up 6 tabs and loads my 6 most used websites. 1 click moves from site to site with zero delay and no reloading.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Firefox - 10/16/08 11:12 PM
*** FIREFOX UPDATE ***
OK, I finally did it. Dski said that she wanted to move from IE to Firefox, so I downloaded it.
Now I need a little help...
The website windows come up huge. I have to use scroll bars to move them back and forth to see them.
How do I scale this back?
-
(edit) Windows XP home edition
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Firefox - 10/17/08 02:02 AM
Brettski,

Unless I'm missing something, I believe you should just be able to go to the Firefox "View" pulldown menu, select the Zoom feature, and keep going down in size until you get to where you want to be. It will save the size feature you choose.

I still really prefer Firefox to IE.

Ken
Posted By: Brettski Re: Firefox - 10/17/08 02:33 AM
I think ya nailed it, Ken.
I adjusted PB forum by zooming out and it fit the page perfect at a "certain zoom level". Oddly, tho, other website pages did not change...so...each site must be adjusted...?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Firefox - 10/17/08 03:11 AM
Bummer. It shouldn't be this hard. I'm about out of battery on my laptop, I'm a long ways from electricity, and it is past my bedtime.

I'll try to get you a better answer in the morning.

Mine works almost perfectly.

Ken
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Firefox - 10/17/08 12:56 PM
Brettski,

You might try closing Firefox and going to the START menu. On the PROGRAMS tab, choose Mozilla Firefox, and Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). It should start with a dialog window. Try resetting the tools and defaults.

You might also try OPTIONS choice under the Tools pulldown. You can set the default font smaller.

Other than that, I don't have any other real suggestions.

Ken
© Pond Boss Forum