Pond Boss
Posted By: FireIsHot Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/20/23 03:27 PM
Are any of you experiencing occasional time lags when going to the PB Forum? I'm getting 15-30 second lags on my phone and Mac. A site this size should only take milliseconds to open.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/20/23 03:29 PM
I had rather slow entries Monday and Tuesday - no delay today.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/20/23 03:43 PM
I have also experienced odd delays at several points in the past.

I have noticed it mostly on the weekends. It seems to get better on Mondays.

Is there any periodic tech maintenance that occurs on the site? If so, then the tech person may have noticed the reduced lags after performing their site cleanups.

(If true?) perhaps give the moderators a way to flag the tech person when the mods note delays?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/20/23 04:19 PM
Rod, unfortunately we have no access to the tech guys, and LeighAnn's only access is through emails. This and the pic issues are like screeching nails on a blackboard to me. I never wrote elegant code, but I did knock out tons of code extremely fast that didn't break. The PB web host should be better than that. Bob does have financial limits, which I completely understand, and that's why we have donations available to those that want to help. Somewhere at the host should be somebody that can zero in on these regular/unregular issues.

Rant's over, so I just need to know if others are dealing with the same forum time lag.
Posted By: ewest Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/20/23 05:33 PM
Occasional slowness but could easily be the net and not the site.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/20/23 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by ewest
That was the first thing that came to mind. Over the last few weeks I tried it on a Mac, PC, tablet, and phone over fiber optic. The lag was unique to our forum.
Posted By: esshup Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/21/23 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
That was the first thing that came to mind. Over the last few weeks I tried it on a Mac, PC, tablet, and phone over fiber optic. The lag was unique to our forum.

And it would come and go, but mostly be there, and I'm with AL, it was unique to the PB forum.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/21/23 12:43 AM
I have t noticed it.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/21/23 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by esshup

And it would come and go, but mostly be there, and I'm with AL, it was unique to the PB forum.
I'm having the same issues.. I replied to several threads yesterday and it would NOT allow me to submit it without saying "that function can not be performed".. I gave up, but seemed to work "better" last night for a period.
Posted By: Augie Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/21/23 07:04 PM
It never hurts to clear your browser cache when you have difficulty with a web site.
Posted By: Knobber Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/22/23 01:36 PM
Rod, unfortunately we have no access to the tech guys, and LeighAnn's only access is through emails. This and the pic issues are like screeching nails on a blackboard to me. I never wrote elegant code, but I did knock out tons of code extremely fast that didn't break. The PB web host should be better than that. Bob does have financial limits, which I completely understand, and that's why we have donations available to those that want to help. Somewhere at the host should be somebody that can zero in on these regular/unregular issues.

Rant's over, so I just need to know if others are dealing with the same forum time lag.

Yes, I see the same lag when launching the forum.

The picture issues are a severe hit to the usefulness of the forum. This is the place to "ask the boss" and pictures are critical to the discussion. Every newbie tries to attach pics to his first post, only to find out they don't work, and the replies are limited. That's discouraging.

A description of where the donation money goes may help drum up contributions. Another approach to the donations is a "supporting member" classification, with something like a $20 annual membership. The member would get some perks on the forum, like no ads, more IM space, better editing capabilities, etc. This works well on other forums I belong to.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Time lag when going to the forum. - 06/22/23 01:42 PM
Yes I'm often getting 20-30 sec pause after clicking to open the forum. It isn't an issue with internet speeds or access on my end. The servers or hosting side must be struggling. But why?

I also agree with the dysfunction of the software and the frequent inability to upload pictures is a deterrent to coming back and continuing to participate. No one should have to rely on a 3rd party photo hosting site to use this forum.

I also agree with a need to understand where donations are needed and some assurance that they support this forum and its day to day operation specifically.
© Pond Boss Forum