Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 04:32 PM
Crazy weather around these parts this weekend...

High Saturday 71 degrees
High Sunday 32 Degrees

Posted By: Bill D. Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 04:52 PM
We are seeing those 40 degree temperature swings here as well....just using a little bit different part of the thermometer. Forecast is for 23 Saturday and minus 17 Sunday night.
Posted By: aighead Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 08:45 PM
High of like 9 or 12 Thursday, 52 called for on Saturday, 20 on Sunday... Jerks. How's our pneumonia?
Posted By: Zep Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 09:22 PM
any remaining tilapia are doomed

i bet the tx hogs aren't crazy about weather in the twenties either
Posted By: Sunil Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 09:26 PM
5 degrees here in Pittsburgh this morning.

Damn.
Posted By: Custom 68 Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 09:32 PM
Here is ours. Looking at Saturday we will be a 43 degree drop that day. Not looking forward to that...
Dave

Attached picture weather.JPG
Posted By: Shorty Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 10:07 PM
The forecast high here on Saturday is 12 degrees, the forecast low Saturday night/Sunday morning is -8.
eek
Posted By: Dwight Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 10:15 PM
Forecast Saturday night temperature -27. That will build ice at a rapid rate!!!
Posted By: Dwight Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 10:16 PM
I forgot to mention the winter storm warning we are currently running under.
Posted By: snrub Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 10:19 PM
Better you than me. Dare I post my weather?

local weather
Posted By: Dwight Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 10:32 PM
This thing is just starting; snowblower and plow are ready in 60 degree warmth:

Posted By: Zep Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 11:10 PM
wow dwight...that is crazy....27 below....i think i'd die...lol

my brother told me when he worked on the Alaska Pipeline project they could sometimes throw coffee into the air and it would freeze before it hit the ground
Posted By: RER Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 11:13 PM
you guys and your cold weather...
Posted By: Bill D. Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/16/16 11:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
wow dwight...that is crazy....27 below....i think i'd die...lol...

Thanks for posting that Dwight. Makes our 17 below seem all warm and cozy!
Posted By: snrub Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/17/16 02:32 AM
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
you guys and your cold weather...

I agree Bobby. I think there is a little bit of sadistic pride in northerners in that "my misery is greater than your misery".

LOL. laugh laugh

I'm just glad they like it up there. Might get awful crowded down here otherwise.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/17/16 02:40 AM
You guys are just jealous Snrub....Nothing better than stepping outside in the morning and having yer nose hairs freeze when you take that first breath! grin
Posted By: snrub Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/17/16 02:48 AM

Yep..............right. I've experienced that but can't recall thinking it was such a good thing. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/17/16 01:28 PM
Guess I had better go buy a coat.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/17/16 01:36 PM
Been cold all week, got a skinny three inches of glass on the ponds....supposed to hit 50 today, with rain. Nnoooo!!!!
Posted By: RAH Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/17/16 01:43 PM
Not the forecast up here anymore, but it was the forecast yesterday. Had two deer go by during early legal light, but I could not be sure they were not subordinate bucks in the dim light. Careful on the ice!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/17/16 11:22 PM
70 earlier in the day; 33 now. 24 at my place South of Bowie; 70 miles North.
Posted By: Tbar Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 12:10 AM
Burrr.......

I was repairing a fence today at 4:00pm sweating in short sleeves. Its 37 now with the wind blowing like a hurricane.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 03:03 AM
Actually expecting a 50+ degree temp drop in one day.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 04:19 AM
It's down to 19 degrees here now, windy and a little bit of black ice.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 12:01 PM
Currently 18 degrees, with a wind chill of 5 degrees this morning. The weather has officially won.

Probably a great day for a X Files marathon.
Posted By: Shorty Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 12:12 PM
Currently -12 this morning, the good news is that the wind has quit howling and warmer temps are in the forecast.
Posted By: snrub Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 03:14 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Currently 18 degrees, with a wind chill of 5 degrees this morning. The weather has officially won.

Wow! Are you sure you live in Texas Al?
Posted By: Dwight Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 04:18 PM
We bottomed out at 28 below over night. -20 now. No wind though.
Posted By: RAH Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 06:15 PM
Minnesota? What do you expect? smile
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 06:16 PM
We got down to 8 here in southeast Washington County, AR. We are in upper teens now, but no wind. I was out walking the hound for a little while, not too bad.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: snrub
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

Wow! Are you sure you live in Texas Al?

I'm afraid so. Our temp dropped more than 50 degrees in 14 hours. This was quite the front for us.

Luckily, there's been no precipitation like farther north. If there had of been, there wouldn't be a wrecker available for a 5 state region. We don't do well down here when there's even a suggestion of cold icy weather.
Posted By: Zep Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 09:49 PM
Al...it's time to stay inside by the fireplace...I am already working on my 2nd nog.

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/18/16 10:37 PM
Mark, you getting any ducks yet? We've got close to 40 ring necks that have showed up. Beautiful ducks, and we enjoy seeing them every year.
Posted By: Zep Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/19/16 12:29 AM
No ducks yet Al....but I've about had it with a heron....
fricking welfare mooch stealing the fish I buy.

Posted By: Zep Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/19/16 09:23 PM
A Texas-sized temperature swing:
70 degrees to 34 degrees in 10 minutes!

"Grand prize for the most dramatic frontal passage goes to West Texas, where the cold air mass plowed south on Saturday in the form of a classic “blue norther” (sometimes called a Texas norther).

A mesonet station about 6 miles west of Denver City, TX, reported a temperature drop of 36°F in just 10 minutes--from 70°F to 34°F"

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/cold-wave-crescendos-with-a-frigid-weekend
Posted By: Cisco Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/19/16 09:57 PM
All I know is Saturday the 17th started at 63 degrees and ended at 16. I finally got 1 of the house heat pumps going Saturday but not the smaller one. When I left the Tater Rock Ranch on Sunday morning, it was 10 cold degrees. Not much wind though so there is that! The guys were actually working on the washed out bridge at 7:30 AM.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/19/16 10:25 PM
We had 4 degrees this morning. A pleasant 37 now. Supposed to be more seasonable tomorrow, mid 40's or so. Not much wind.
Posted By: Flame Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/20/16 12:42 PM
Zep, I'm with you on the heron. I got one I have not been able to get rid of for several months now!!! Sneaky DEVILS...
Posted By: TGW1 Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/20/16 01:14 PM
After this cold snap I betcha snrub is getting packed up for he wintering in the Caribbean. smile
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/20/16 01:31 PM
Originally Posted By: John F
We had 4 degrees this morning. A pleasant 37 now. Supposed to be more seasonable tomorrow, mid 40's or so. Not much wind.

Almost the same as here yesterday. 38 with no winds seemed almost balmy.
Posted By: Cisco Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/20/16 01:38 PM
I'm at 29 this morning and no wind in DFW. They sat it'll be 70 by Christmas but that's too far off for them to predict.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/20/16 03:00 PM
Cold snap and snow have passed for us. Up to 20 this morning. Fired up the winter aeration this morning to blow a hole thru the ice and snow cover. Once I get a nice size hole, I'll shut it down again.
Posted By: snrub Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/20/16 08:52 PM
Got here the 12th. Didn't see my weather link up above?

I been looking at fish in the "big pond" every day. The Tarpon are shiny as a Peterbuilt truck bumper and the sea horses are cute as ever.

Cool front made it down here. Much colder than 80 and the locals start wearing sweaters and hoodies.

Bonaire weather

This is the rainy season and we have been having rain once or twice a day but it only lasts about 20 minutes.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/21/16 12:35 PM
Snrub, I am envious, I have not been to Bonaire but have made 17 Caribbean islands in the last 20 yrs with diving and Bone fishing as the primary recreation. My plans of being there in the winter months have gone nowhere. After raising kids and then grandkids came along and now we are helping with great grand kids and I can not get the grandmother (wife) to go anywhere for more than a couple of weeks. She loved the islands but she loves being with the kids more. Darn it! snrub, enjoy smile
Posted By: Dwight Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/21/16 01:58 PM
12 inches of good ice here.
Posted By: djstauder Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/21/16 02:20 PM
Bill,
A phrase I hope to never say: "Up to 20 this morning..."

Why do you turn off the aeration after you create hole?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/21/16 02:24 PM
Dale, I'm the same way. Never ice fished and that's OK with me. I can't imagine looking forward to hard water time.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/21/16 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Bill,
A phrase I hope to never say: "Up to 20 this morning..."

Why do you turn off the aeration after you create hole?

I primarily use the aeration in the winter to keep sunlight in the pond for the DO producing vegetation. When I get real thick ice or snow cover that's blocking out the light, I blow a hole. I could probably let it run all the time as the winter diffuser is only in 3 feet of water or so but then I figure why even take the chance of super chilling the pond.

...And the best reason of all to shut it down is so the ice cover can keep the dang geese out! You would be amazed how many geese can fit in a 75 foot diameter hole when it's the only open water for miles! smile
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/21/16 04:58 PM
Opening a hole in the ice and then letting it refreeze results in a clear iced area. Clear ice allows about the same amount of light into that area as no ice. Granted there is no additional oxygenation from the bubbling diffuser which also spreads oxygenated water. Although phytoplankton and benthic algae produce a lot of DO when the sun shines into the clear ice- open water area.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/21/16 05:46 PM
I read somewhere or was told somewhere on this forum that running an aerator in the winter is harmful to your pond because it allows the CO2 in your pond to escape with the aeration and then the plants die/suffer for lack of CO2.

I think most people run their aerator in the shallows with the goal of leaving a small refuge for their fish to prevent winter kill.

I have not heard that plants run out of CO2 under the ice either with or without aeration (meaning a winterkill for plants due to CO2 supply problems)

Bill, Can you comment on this connundrum?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/21/16 06:20 PM
Dave, I thought the same thing about ice fishing. But I got a chance to ice fish with some of our Northern members, and it was a blast. TJ and Tony's backs are probably still sore from babysitting me, but it was a lot of fun.

The casts are very short too. It's hard to hit that little hole in the ice, so standing close helps.

I'll agree with you about hard water though. I'd much rather visit a frozen pond, then have one.
Posted By: Shorty Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/22/16 12:19 AM
We have thunderstorms in the forecast for Christmas day this weekend with a big low pressure system moving across the plains. Warms temps, wind, and rain will likey ruin the ice fishing on area ponds after it moves through.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/22/16 04:30 AM
Today it hit the 60's.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/23/16 03:30 AM
Forecast is for a Heat Wave for Christmas day! 45 for a high. Before that is snow/freezing rain/thunderstorm and after that is more snow. I expect the rain and warmup on Christmas will melt a bunch of the snow we currently have (maybe 20 inches) and cause flooding locally. Think I'll fire up the tractor tomorrow and bring a few FEL loads of firewood into the garage wood box. Not working this weekend or next week so I'll sit by the fire and watch Ma Nature have her fun!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/23/16 03:44 PM
Christmas day forecast 70 here. It will be a Nice Christmas, especially after last weeks cold 20 degrees and windy weather.
Posted By: RAH Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/23/16 05:45 PM
The polar vortex has left, but I hate the grey days!
Posted By: esshup Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/24/16 02:38 PM
Last Monday we hit -16.2°F, this Monday we are supposed to hit 55°F. With the rain in the forecast, I don't think the ice will be safe for very long.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/24/16 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH

RAH, me and you both. Every outdoor solar light we have here is dead from lack of sunlight.
Posted By: Shorty Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/26/16 01:14 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH

It's still early, the polar vortex will be back, just last Thursday the Arctic was 50 degrees above normal.
Posted By: RAH Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/26/16 01:41 PM
We are at 63F!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/26/16 02:29 PM
69 degrees with 99% humidity this morning.

If my trout die, I won't be any fun to be around.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: crazy weather this weekend - 12/26/16 04:45 PM
We received about 1.6 inches of rain overnight. The pond is up 2.5 inches and creek is flowing muddy. Still unseasonably warm and humid.
© Pond Boss Forum