Pond Boss
Posted By: FireIsHot RIP DR Trimmer - 09/24/15 08:15 PM
So my electric start self propelled DR Trimmer finally died after close to 25 years. The valves were just shot.

I wanted something light and simple to work on, so I replaced it with an WT190 Echo Bear Cat. First job was clearing the dam for fall. Close to 40,000 square feet on a constant slope. It took 2 days, but the Echo did fine.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/24/15 08:25 PM
Nice work Al! The dam looks great!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/24/15 09:47 PM
Looks pretty dam nice, Al and a lot different than 90 days ago!

Such a beautiful place!
Posted By: Victor Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/24/15 09:56 PM
It was probably your beard and haircut that did that thing in. Poor DR Trimmer. RIP.
Posted By: gully washer Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/24/15 10:15 PM
Looks nice, Al.... I would make fun of you, and tell you that you could’ve done that in 30 minutes and avoided all of that beneficial exercise if you had a tractor and shredder, but I just ran over a big rock with my shredder the other day, and now the tractor makes a strange noise when the pto is engaged................ Guess I’ll soon have the pleasure of splitting the tractor's case open and spending a wad....... Oh Joy!.......the very reason I dreaded getting a tractor. eek
Posted By: Tbar Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/24/15 10:33 PM
Very nice! Now that you are an expert come on over!!! smile
Posted By: Bill D. Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 12:53 AM
I have become a huge fan of Echo tools. My landscape buddy was hung up on another brand and laughed when he saw my Echo stuff last spring. I let him try my weed wacker and chainsaw. I had to laugh when he came over a couple weeks back. His truck was loaded with Echo stuff!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 02:15 AM
GW, I'm a tad OCD about turf. The shredder just won't cut it the way I want. But I do have this tingling feeling that the older I get, the better the shredder cut will look. Besides, Blue Bell will be back here in North TX soon, and I worked off one root beer/homemade vanilla float.

We used to pay a guy $300 to mow the whole pond, including the front and back of the dam. He did it twice, and he said never again.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 03:11 AM
Sorry for your loss, Al. I'm going to check out your new toy and see what's going on. I need something eventually...
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 05:47 AM
Fire, I've just got to ask: If that DR gave you 25 years of service, why not get another DR to take you another 25 years? The only response I can predict is something like "They don't make them like they used to".
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 11:14 AM
roadwarriorsvt, there were several reasons I went with the Echo this time. The Echo is a much cleaner design, and has less moving parts to worry about. Best I can tell, there's the Engine, a belt with one tension pulley, and the trimming line spindle, all housed is a nice steel frame. Because of that, it's much lighter, and maintenance should be simpler.

I also have a great outdoor power shop, and I really try to do all the business with them I can. It's nice having a relationship with honest guys who will order parts over the phone, and will bump a repair up in the que if they know I'm in a jamb.

It took me a few days to research what I wanted, and I'm happy with the Echo. If it had one of those old FJ60 air cleaner snorkels on it, it would be perfect. Yes, I've already flipped it over in the pond once. Now, I'm trying to find the best choice for a log splitter. This one may take a smidge longer to decide on.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 11:33 AM
Log splitters are a whole other animal. About like buying a vehicle, in that there are bells and whistles available galore. Somewhere in the mix there's a defining line between logsplitters, and wood processors. A processor is a serious piece of equipment, and requires a correspondingly serious prying open of the wallet.

If you're looking for a basic, vertical/horizontal splitter, check out the Oregon brand at the dealer where you bought the Bearcat. If they don't have one on the floor they should be able to show you some specs on them.

One of my uncles spent over 10 grand and took a trip up north to purchase a processor. It's a firewood factory on a trailer frame.

I still stifle a laugh when someone calls in with a "Doctor Trimmer" here in the shop.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 11:53 AM
Tony, thanks. I'll sure check the Oregon out.

My wife is actually the one pushing me to get a log splitter. I still use mauls, wedges, etc. to split wood for my smoker. I know it's probably stupid, but a stack of hand split oak sure takes on more meaning when it's covered in sweat.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 12:00 PM
You know what they say: firewood warms you twice. Once when you cut it, and again when you burn it. Not sure how that works when the wood is intended for a smoker rather than a woodstove, but I'm sure the initial sweat factor is still very much in play! smile
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 12:23 PM
Tony, sweat is the marinade of love. Your syrup proves that. The easiest way to do something, may not always be the best way to do something.
Posted By: esshup Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 01:38 PM
Look at Dirty Hand Tool Splitters. Made here.
http://dirtyhandtools.com/Log%20Splitters%20Page.html

Or go get a Timberwolf TW6 w/log lift and pick it up at the factory. On your way home, stop by here and try it out for a week. wink grin
http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/tw-6-log-splitter/
Posted By: sprkplug Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 02:06 PM
If you go with a unit equipped with a log lifter, try and determine whether or not a restricting valve is incorporated into its design. A 16+ gpm pump and 3600 rpm works great on a 5 or 6" cylinder, but when it's channeled into a 1.5" cylinder like what's typically used on a lift, things happen quickly.

If you're just grabbing and pulling levers, that log lifter may do a favorable rendition of a medieval siege engine. And while I'm on the subject, log cradles and tables are great so long as you remember to avoid walking into them.

Of course, if the wood cutting environment is similar to what I endured as a child, there will always be someone there to offer assistance. Usually in the form of "Quit rolling around on the ground and get back to work. And pick up your kneecap and stick it in your pocket so's you don't lose it"

Woodcutting was not for the faint of heart in my family.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 04:03 PM
Scott, really? A $22,000 log splitter? I'm still doing dishes just to pay off the fuel caddy you brought me.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 07:42 PM
Tony great feedback here...I have a 12T Earthquake I have abused and overused for years - I can't believe it's still operational - I put far larger round through it than it's designed for. I want a 22T or larger, since I'll only use it 6 times a year, have been hesitant to spend more than one would have to on one of those Tractor Supply specials for $1600 or so. Looks like the Oregon is similarly priced?

I know one gets what they pay for, but only using it 6 times annually makes me wonder if going beyond the Oregon type price is worth it?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 08:06 PM
In my opinion, occasional use doesn't justify a top notch splitter. My best advice is to make sure you recognize the brand of engine powering it. Lots of knock offs on the market, and some are hard to get parts for.
Posted By: JKB Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 08:13 PM
Spark, any not too expensive but decent 3PT PTO splitters out there?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 08:20 PM
I don't worry about splitting logs. I just cut stuff that doesn't have to be split.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB

Honestly, all I've seen in this category have been very similar to each other. I think in this case it boils down to dia. of cylinder, and the skills of the welder who put it together. The downside as I see it, is the tractor is tied up with the splitter. Lots of folks throw the splits into a FEL, but we prefer to use a trailer to haul bigger loads. Having the splitter on means that can't happen until we unhook and re-couple. If that's not a problem, I think a three point splitter is a good idea. Lot cheaper, too.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I don't worry about splitting logs. I just cut stuff that doesn't have to be split.

C'mon now Dave, why deny yourself the pleasure of wrestling a 3' diameter stick into position, splitting it umpteen times, and making it conform to your will? Something very satisfying there.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 09:08 PM
Dave, I'll buy the log spitter if you'll buy the portable sawmill like Lusk's. We could turn your place into a desert. And a very nice cedar smelling desert at that.
Posted By: JKB Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/25/15 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Honestly, all I've seen in this category have been very similar to each other. I think in this case it boils down to dia. of cylinder, and the skills of the welder who put it together. The downside as I see it, is the tractor is tied up with the splitter. Lots of folks throw the splits into a FEL, but we prefer to use a trailer to haul bigger loads. Having the splitter on means that can't happen until we unhook and re-couple. If that's not a problem, I think a three point splitter is a good idea. Lot cheaper, too.

I cut trees/large branches to logs then use the FEL with the forks and move the logs to where they will be cut up, split and stacked. I try not to move things more than once if possible. If I pick up something out in the woods that has already been split, load it onto a trailer, then have to unload the trailer to stack it for cure, that's a lot of work. If I drop the logs off 10-20 feet from where they will be cut up, split and stacked...

You learn that from running your own business, because every time you have to pick something up and handle it, it cost time, so you try reduce the time dealing with it as best you can.

Probably one of the reasons I'm not the best house cleaner on the planet wink
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/26/15 10:51 AM
Al, about 5 years ago Charlene was going to buy a log splitter for my birthday. I started researching and found several that would suit my needs/wants.

Then I started thinking about it. Between 3 vehicles, 2 tractors, farm equipment, yard tools, hand tools, boats, toys (guns, fishing gear, welders, etc.) I'm always working on or cleaning something that I need to work/play with. And, I have a backlog of things that need attention that they usually get just before I need to use them.

My Ranger/Evinrude hasn't been on the lakes in years.

I have way more than $5,000 in reloading gear, supplies and components. And, that doesn't come anywhere near Scott. No time to shoot and deer season is coming.

Way too many guns and just bought a new Taurus Judge and associated ammo.

Just got another $250 order in from Jantz Supply in knife stuff. Need to buy about $600 more materials because daughters, granddaughters, want new steak knives for Xmas.

Yesterday I put a new handle on an axe, sharpened 3 axes and even touched up the edges of my mauls and manual splitter.

Need to start on a blue barrel floating dock.

Things seem to own me.

That's why I shy away from adding anything else like a log splitter.

Yep, Bob has a sweet sawmill.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/26/15 12:12 PM
Dave, stuff can own one for sure. What slows me down is the do I have the extra spark plugs, air filters, hoses, or fluids I need here on premises for all the various junk I have.

Wednesday, I lost the big washer that holds the shredder wheel on by a cotter key, and my choice was to run to town and pick up a washer, which would tie up an hour and a half, or get the metal detector and find the washer. I never thought the Kubota could be out of service over a washer, but it is.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/26/15 12:35 PM

I cut trees/large branches to logs then use the FEL with the forks and move the logs to where they will be cut up, split and stacked. I try not to move things more than once if possible. If I pick up something out in the woods that has already been split, load it onto a trailer, then have to unload the trailer to stack it for cure, that's a lot of work. If I drop the logs off 10-20 feet from where they will be cut up, split and stacked...

You learn that from running your own business, because every time you have to pick something up and handle it, it cost time, so you try reduce the time dealing with it as best you can.

Probably one of the reasons I'm not the best house cleaner on the planet wink

We do all the cutting and splitting in the woods. It just makes too much mess to have it in the yard, by the woodshed. Standard procedure is to drag logs to our processing area, cut them into blocks, and when we have enough we bring in the splitter, provided it isn't already there....which it usually is. It's under cover there right now, actually. I think I will build an open sided structure for it, eventually.

Then we pull the trailer up and split, throwing the splits in as we go. When the trailer is full, we drive to the woodshed and unload. Now since I enjoy cutting wood, I will often take 30-40 minutes of an evening and just split by myself. I find it relaxing. In that case I throw into the mule, and haul it to the shed on my way out.
Posted By: djstauder Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/26/15 07:41 PM
I've got one of the echo bearcat trimmers although I don't recall the model number. It is a good, reliable trimmer and you can replace the string trimmer head with a circular saw blade that is very good at cutting small brush (<5").

http://www.bearcatproducts.com/products/options-and-acccessories/wheeled_trimmer_sabre_blade/
Posted By: Bill D. Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/27/15 02:16 AM
I love my Echo trimmer. I have multiple blades for it. I have one that reminds me of a circular saw plywood blade. I can cut a 2 inch sapling like nothing!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/27/15 12:53 PM
My main issue is the tall Bermuda. I'm thinking the 3 bladed brush cutter head would work well.

After spending a couple of days with the Echo, the only thing I would change is the regular trimmer line head. Maybe a wired loop attachment that put less stress on the line itself. In tall grass, the line repeatedly broke right at the trimmer head.
Posted By: GaryS Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/27/15 01:06 PM
Did you get the self propelled?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/27/15 01:21 PM
Gary, I did not. It doesn't show in the pics, but some of the slopes on the front and back of the dam are very severe. I wanted a light, but well built trimmer that was easier to manhandle.

The self propelled model was also a little more than double the price. I just don't use that feature enough to warrant another $600. If I needed it on more level ground, I'd sure reconsider and maybe get the self propelled model.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: RIP DR Trimmer - 09/27/15 03:46 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
My main issue is the tall Bermuda. I'm thinking the 3 bladed brush cutter head would work well.

FWIW I bought the 3 bladed brush cutter head this summer and it works great on tall thick grass.
© Pond Boss Forum