Pond Boss
Posted By: FireIsHot Winter Storm - 12/06/13 12:27 PM
Sitting here at the farm listening to sleet hit the building. Thunder, lightning, and limbs falling already. I'll be curious to see how things look after the sun comes up.

1/4" of anything frozen usually brings the Metroplex to a standstill.
Posted By: jims place Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 12:56 PM
Looks like a lot of people are in for a miserable weekend. Were setting at 15 degrees and expecting a low of 4 tonight, time to load up the fireplace.
Posted By: RAH Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 01:18 PM
Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 21 for the start of Muzzle loader. Brrr
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 01:53 PM
I have 3 inches of frozen sleet in my rain gauge and the DFW metroplex is pretty well shut down. It won't get above freezing until Monday. I knew I should have bought a coat.
Posted By: RAH Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 02:00 PM
You win (or lose) - I'll take snow over ice any time!
Posted By: esshup Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 03:02 PM
Now who was asking that I send some precip down that way??? grin

Next time be more specific! laugh
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 03:08 PM
Yeah, I know. Begging never works out well.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 03:28 PM
One degree here this morning in the south eastern part of the state, western Nebraska woke up to minus 20 degree temps this morning. eek

So far no precipitation here but they are talking about possibley 3-7" of snow starting late Saturday into Sunday.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 03:46 PM
-15.3 for a low last night. Up to -11 now. It is a dry cold.
Posted By: snrub Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 03:52 PM
Don't give me that dry cold stuff. That is cold cold from my lattitude perspective.
Posted By: Victor Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 04:03 PM
Dwight, I think it was the .3 that really made that minus 15 sound too cold for me. Ouch.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 05:22 PM
Current Weather
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 06:03 PM
Dwight,

Is the Hardwick you live near the one southeast of Minneapolis? I was assuming you were much farther north.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 06:39 PM
Got about 5" of snow thus far, and still falling. I believe they have scaled back on the precip. totals, however. They were calling for 10-12" by the time it was over.

Lost front wheel drive on the mule while plowing snow this morning....joy.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Winter Storm - 12/06/13 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Dwight,

Is the Hardwick you live near the one southeast of Minneapolis? I was assuming you were much farther north.

We are in the far southwest corner of Minnesota. 40 minutes from Sioux Falls, SD.

Your and our latitudes are about the same.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Winter Storm - 12/07/13 12:27 AM
Still over 200,000 people without electricity in Dallas alone.

Here at the farm, 60 miles east of Dallas, I've got a lot of work to do next week. Limbs down everywhere, and fencing down also. My trees sounded like shotgun blasts when the limbs broke this morning.

Another round coming late tomorrow.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Winter Storm - 12/07/13 01:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Dwight,

We are in the far southwest corner of Minnesota. 40 minutes from Sioux Falls, SD.

Your and our latitudes are about the same.

But you get so much cooooooooolder!

Actually Dwight you're about 300 miles north of me in latitude - maybe more.

Your latitude is 43.7750° N. Mine is 41.4642° N.

BTW I meant to say southwest of Minneappolis not southeast.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Winter Storm - 12/07/13 03:25 AM
Just had snow here. Thankful we did but skies are clear and it is going to get cold tonight.
Posted By: Robert-NJ Re: Winter Storm - 12/07/13 04:10 AM
We had some thunder and lightning here in southern NJ along with rain.I probably shouldn't complain considering what the rest of you guys are dealing with.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Winter Storm - 12/08/13 02:37 PM
And to think my Sunday morning paper is waaaaay down at the end of that driveway cry

Which poses the question; is it there yet?

First snow of the year (and it's supposed to continue all day) and not near as bad as a lot of you have it, but still hard to find the motivation to leave my fireplace heated, cozy living room to get bundled up and start plowing.

Yet, my reward will be that Sunday paper grin
Posted By: JKB Re: Winter Storm - 12/08/13 03:59 PM
That don't look too inviting.

It's just cold here, no snow.

The ground is taking on a pretty good freeze, which hasn't happened is a number of years. Usually we get dumped on, then the freeze comes in. The snow insulates the ground.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Winter Storm - 12/08/13 04:31 PM
Snowing here again. 88 hours below freezing.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Winter Storm - 12/08/13 05:51 PM
Lovnlivin, if that thing hangin from yer tree is a Voodoo doll of Bruce wearin his pointy tinfoil hat. stick a ice cycle in his a** for me.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Winter Storm - 12/08/13 07:28 PM
Nope, sorry Bob-O that's Marv, named after a great man that made him (RIP, Marv) and he's been hangin' around with me for about 12 years. Unfortunately lost his right hand a few years back and gettin' a little rusty but gets a warm greeting from me every day!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Winter Storm - 12/09/13 01:32 AM
My pickup made it less than 75 ft from the house today. No weight in back, lots of ice and an unmotivated driver.
Posted By: Robert-NJ Re: Winter Storm - 12/09/13 02:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
My pickup made it less than 75 ft from the house today. No weight in back, lots of ice and an unmotivated driver.

It's hard to believe Texas got it worse then we did in southern NJ.I guess it is one of the benefits of living on a cape surrounded by the ocean and bay.We started the day off with a dusting that has since turned to a wet rainy mess frown
Posted By: jludwig Re: Winter Storm - 12/09/13 03:07 AM
Texas had mainly freezing rain. The worst...

It is going to snow again tomorrow for us.
Posted By: Zep Re: Winter Storm - 12/09/13 03:25 AM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
1/4" of anything frozen usually brings the Metroplex to a standstill.

Al the ice and snow also brings out the half-wits in Dallas. It's like people just go nuts. Look at this car going the wrong way on the North Dallas Tollway at 6:45AM Friday morning. I could not believe my eyes as I snapped the picture on my way to work. I hope it turned out ok....

white sedan on right is going southbound
in the northbound lanes of the Tollway.

Posted By: JKB Re: Winter Storm - 12/09/13 06:48 AM
There's a halfwit snow plow jocky outside making all kinds of noise at 1:30am. Only have a couple flakes on the ground.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Winter Storm - 12/09/13 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Dave, that's 75 feet farther than us yesterday.

We watched tree service trucks run up and down the streets all day. Only guy that stopped at our house assured us they were professionals. Only problem was we watched them clean up a neighbors 60 year old Elm with a pair of axes. They didn't even own a chain saw. Probably a lot of that going on over the next several weeks.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Winter Storm - 12/09/13 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
...white sedan on right is going southbound
in the northbound lanes of the Tollway.

Mark, that looks like a typical Dallas North Toll road 3 AM Saturday morning. I bet that was an oopsy moment when they figured it out.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Winter Storm - 12/09/13 02:45 PM
Sheesh! I feel like I'm in Texas.

We got 8 inches of snow, then it rained most of the night -- and was a balmy 24 degrees. I guess I'll have to get the chains on, the tractor if I can get to the tractor shed on top of the snow and ice without breaking my butt.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Winter Storm - 12/09/13 04:03 PM
We got about three inches, then it rained, and now we have hardly anything on the ground but mud. Supposed to get cold tonight and stay cold all week but with only another inch possible tomorrow.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Winter Storm - 12/11/13 11:59 PM
Possible snowstorm this weekend all the way to the east coast with it developing into a nor'easter. Nice to have a normal winter for a change.
Posted By: esshup Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 12:19 AM
Cecil, this winter looks to be shaping up like the winters were when I was growing up. Ponds/lakes freezing over mid November, and not thawing out until the end of March. Enough snow to go snowmobiling all winter long here too. Maybe, just maybe!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 12:35 AM
Maybe. But then again it could change on a dime in a few weeks. Let's hope winter stays like this.

Remember snowstorms during sectional time in March back when you were in high school?
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 01:32 AM
Cecil and Essup, I hope ya get yer good ol fashioned Hoosier winter. It has been in the low 80s down here in Fl and oh how I miss getting wet feet the first 15 mins out and then thinkin it would be okay 8 hrs later when I got home and dry.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 02:02 AM
I like experiencing the different seasons. Each one offers something unique to enjoy, and I actually feel that, for me anyway, having the seasons offset each other keeps everything in balance. I don't want it warm all the time, any more than I want it cold for an extended period. I'm sure it sounds crazy, but I honestly feel that the change in the seasons is beneficial to me physically, as well as mentally.
Posted By: esshup Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 02:43 AM
I hear you Sprkplug! But I'd really prefer my seasons to be a bit more mild. Highs of upper 80's for the summer, cooling down to the mid 60's at night. Winter daytime temps in the upper 60's to low 70's with it cooling down to low 40's at night with the occasional dip below freezing at night.

Now, if we could only get Southern California weather moved here to the midwest!!! grin

I'd gladly trade in ice fishing and shoveling snow.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup

I'd gladly trade in ice fishing

WHAT?? I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that. cry laugh Summer/winter, night/day, Yin/Yang, square cages vs. round......The universe needs balance, Man!!!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 05:00 AM
Scott can't help it. He was corrupted by living in California. Once that happens they never recover. grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 03:18 PM
laugh

Yep! I got spoiled by the warm days, and cool evenings. Fish in freshwater for large BG/RES, Catfish or LMB, or fish in the Pacific for all sorts of saltwater fish. I lived about 15 minutes from the beach.

Where I was at, I could see snow in the mountains out of my office window, or drive 30 minutes to go waterskiing in January. You could go snow skiing in the morning and waterskiing in the afternoon if you wanted to.

Would I move back? Not with the political climate, state regulations, etc.

Tony, people had to cut grass all year long........
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 03:43 PM
Now wait a minute.... My wife moved here from southern Cali 30 years ago, and she claimed the grass turned brown and quit growing.

Matter-of-fact, my impressions from listening to her talk leads me to believe that's how they determined the passing of the seasons.

Sparse, green grass with bare spots in the lawn = Spring.
Full coverage of brown grass = mid to late summer.
Sparse, brown grass with bare spots in the lawn = Fall.
Mostly brown grass, bare spots, some new life (green) starting to appear = winter.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 03:55 PM
We're scheduled to get 6+ inches of snow here in West Central IL tomorrow through Saturday morning. And it was a balmy 4 when I woke up this morning...we are almost thick enough on the ponds to get out and skate/fish through the ice. Should be good by this weekend, although it sounds like I'll be shoveling snow off the ice first.
Posted By: esshup Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 05:33 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Now wait a minute.... My wife moved here from southern Cali 30 years ago, and she claimed the grass turned brown and quit growing.

Why'd she move back? I thought she was raised on that piece of property? wink

Times have changed over on the left coast. They now have things that are called automatic watering systems. Now the grass is green all year long! (providing you can afford the water bill that is!).

Or, you just hire a company that comes and paints the brown grass green. grin
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Winter Storm - 12/12/13 05:53 PM
She was 14 when her family moved out here and purchased the old campground property.

It's my family, that has been visiting this same property (under various ownerships), since I was five years old. I grew up spending much of my childhood here.

Becky, (my wife) and I purchased half of the property, including all of the old campground, from her parents just a few years ago. One of her brothers bought the other half.
© Pond Boss Forum