Pond Boss
Posted By: heybud Pond Soil - 09/27/13 11:33 PM
I cleaned a small pond out and figured the soil would be really good for flower beds, yards, etc. Nothing seems to grow where I put it. It hasn't had any type of chemicals in it ever. Is it devoid of something?
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Pond Soil - 09/28/13 01:01 AM
It is devoid of air. You need to mix it with other soils to allow air and water flow through it. About a 4 parts soil to 1 part pond muck.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Soil - 09/30/13 05:01 PM
Where in the dickens have you been? Learn any new rain dance steps?
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Pond Soil - 09/30/13 05:45 PM
Here's what I did with some muck I got out of my pond. We'd topped a small hill when we built the pond to use for fill and as a result had no topsoil in that area. I plowed up the clay base that had proven not to grow much, spread maybe a 2 inch layer of muck over the top of all the busted up clay and let it sit for a summer. then I plowed it again and tilled it. Grows whatever I plant there now.

I think it's just like stated above....you gotta provide a medium other than muck to get growth...
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Soil - 10/01/13 01:04 AM
heybud good to hear from you !

Working the pond muck with soil will help fix it.
Posted By: heybud Re: Pond Soil - 10/08/13 01:56 PM
I'm still alive and kicking. The drought has taken it's toll on my place. Pond is almost dry and I've lost several 200 to 300 year old pecan trees. Heard a report from the Texas state climatologist. He said Texas was in for drought for the next 5 to 15 years. He said the best we could hope for was a couple of months of wetter than normal conditions.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Soil - 10/09/13 10:42 AM
I hope the guy is wrong !! Group rain dance is called for.
© Pond Boss Forum