Pond Boss
Posted By: small pond Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/28/13 10:07 PM
I got my magazine in the mail the this afternoon. Hopefully everyone else will get theirs soon.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/28/13 10:55 PM
Sweet! Mine should be here sat or mon.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/29/13 12:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Mine is likely a week away.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/29/13 11:56 PM
Got mine today....

Small Pond may be the new torch bearer!!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 12:20 AM
Sep-Oct arrived in NW OH today Thur Aug 29. Another good issue.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 12:58 AM
Liked the article about the non-fed ponds. I cannot really feed mine due to using it for swimming as well, so I get what I get. So far very pleased.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 01:09 AM
Squid, what's your reasoning on not feeding a pond that's used for swimming?
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 01:17 AM
I dream one day there being a pond boss app and I can just download strait to my iPad and iphone. That will be nice. I love getting my infisherman the moment it is released.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 01:39 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Squid, what's your reasoning on not feeding a pond that's used for swimming?

Perhaps it has some relation to the old tale of not swimming after eating... smirk
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 11:41 AM
Since I don't have flow through in the summer, the food will just add to the nutrients in the pond increasing plant growth and reducing clarity. It may not be evident the first year, but over time I believe it will age the pond faster. Also concerned about microscopic life of the wrong sort promoted by decaying food.

With that said, I may do limited feeding, but waiting for my fish to get larger naturally just to see how they do. All the fish I have caught so far have been healthy without feeding. Not record setters though.

Right now the water is clear, plant life is limited, and the swimming is great. I don't want to break something that is working. Unusually this is not my normal nature. I must be getting old.
Posted By: small pond Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 12:51 PM
Their's a saying in our house."If it ain't broke don't fix it, If it is broke don't let me fix it!"

How deep is your pond? Doesn't swimming make it muddy?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 12:53 PM
Mine got here yesterday (Thursday, Aug 29). I can't wait to try out the recipe in the "Feature" article.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 02:05 PM
Here I am working... and browsing PB between looooong processing tasks again. Sometimes engineering can be so droll.

My pond is on average 12 feet deep(?) when full, with the deepest at 16 feet. A pretty good crater. However I have lost a little more than a foot to leakage so far even though it has been a wet year. Last year it was almost 3 feet due to the leakage plus drought, so it was easier to stir up the bottom. For the most part I only stir up mud when snorkeling near the bottom and even then it settles fairly quickly.

My pond is still young, so the bottom still has no muck. Plus I get sunlight to the bottom which gets O2 down there allowing the whole water column to be utilized. If I could condition my fish to be used to humans, it would be a great aquarium. Otherwise when I am snorkeling I only see tailfins briefly.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/30/13 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Since I don't have flow through in the summer, the food will just add to the nutrients in the pond increasing plant growth and reducing clarity. It may not be evident the first year, but over time I believe it will age the pond faster. Also concerned about microscopic life of the wrong sort promoted by decaying food.

With that said, I may do limited feeding, but waiting for my fish to get larger naturally just to see how they do. All the fish I have caught so far have been healthy without feeding. Not record setters though.

Right now the water is clear, plant life is limited, and the swimming is great. I don't want to break something that is working. Unusually this is not my normal nature. I must be getting old.

Gotcha. I was just curious, as the pond we have our HBG in is also our swimming pond, so I recognize the desire for clean, clear water. During the hotter summer months, we typically have a bloom that reduces clarity to around 24", but normal clarity is twice that, and I stay on top of aquatic vegetation and feed everyday, temps permitting.

My wife has no qualms about swimming in the pond, and I have nieces that bring friends over to swim, so I figure if some 17-19 yr old girls don't mind it, it must be okay. Of course I recognize that it may just be in their nature to treat as normal, what someone else might find unacceptable...these are local (country) girls after all. grin

Not endorsing one course of action over another, just suggesting that it is possible to have bigger fish in a smaller, swimming pond.
We take care of several swimming ponds of which one is our own of 1 acre in size. I also feed AquaMax grower 500 (5D05) to forage in many of those ponds without an additional nutrient load that causes excess algae or plant growth compared to non fed ponds. These ponds are clear and support some chara and plant growth in allowed areas. The one thing that I think that has worked in these ponds is lifting at least twice per day and they are all on a bacteria program. Even though this feed has 1.15% actual P we are able to keep Ortho P levels below <0.01mg/l These fish all seem to be doing well but Im sure not as well as a pond where the goal was primarily growth .We have fed this way in our personal swimming pond for the last 7 years and a few of those years fed trout from October to May.I think you can have a good fishery and swimm'n hole at the same time but there are some additional expense that can go with it.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/31/13 02:40 AM
Where is my @^%$#& mailman ?
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/31/13 03:11 AM
Originally Posted By: ewest

I talked to the local postmaster and she said that the local post office may be closing in the next few years. That means a 8-10 mile each way trip to the next closest one. But, get this, that one won't be the one that my mail will be going thru, THAT one is 15-18 miles away.....
Posted By: JKB Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 08/31/13 12:02 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: ewest

I talked to the local postmaster and she said that the local post office may be closing in the next few years. That means a 8-10 mile each way trip to the next closest one. But, get this, that one won't be the one that my mail will be going thru, THAT one is 15-18 miles away.....

According to a former customer, who was always late paying his bills. "It takes 8 days for local mail to be delivered".

I told him that next time I'll just drive the mile or so and save him the postage and hassle.

Kinda funny how computers crash at these particular moments and can't print a check wink

He's sorta an OK guy tho. Went bankrupt a year or so ago.

SP, glad ya like the mag. Mine may have been delivered, but won't know till tomorrow.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/01/13 01:05 AM
Still nothing here.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/01/13 02:31 AM
Nothing for me, either....
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/03/13 02:06 AM
Not here.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/03/13 07:22 PM
Mine arrived today.... smile
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/03/13 08:16 PM
Here today also....finally! laugh
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/03/13 08:30 PM
Got mine today also.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 01:22 AM
Still not here. frown
Posted By: KSBASS Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 02:12 AM
I haven't received mine yet either but can't wait till it gets here.
Posted By: Bing Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 02:33 AM
Got mine today.
Posted By: Bing Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 02:35 AM
Got mine today.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 03:21 AM
Ewest, looks like Bing got yours. smile
There's a great article in there about Richmond Mill lake by a guy named Eric West.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 05:12 AM
Still MIA here.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 05:16 AM
Been kinda of a rough day... My father in law passed away after a couple of rough years fighting kidney failure and heart issues.. Been searching pictures and SD cards for his celebration of life and needed a break so I thought hey, maybe my PB mag will be in the mail box... Sure enough it was... Gonna read for awhile and hopefully get some rest...

Thanks for what this sight brings to me for a little escape time.. Right now I need it!!!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 06:42 AM
Sorry for your family's loss Sean. frown
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 10:00 AM
nope
Posted By: Shorty Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 11:15 AM
Got mine yesterday afternoon.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 12:20 PM
Got mine yesterday.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 01:28 PM
Mine came yesterday
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 05:48 PM
Mine is here!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 06:33 PM
Here today !!!! Yes.

outdoorlivin247 sorry for your loss. No more suffering for him - he is home now.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/04/13 07:05 PM
Interesting. Someone wrote in with a snail question.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/05/13 12:12 AM
Pond Boss subscribers aren't the only ones getting late publication mailings.

This was in our local newspaper a few weeks ago. I'm 15 miles from where the newspaper is located and printed, but it has to go through Baltimore, about 100 miles away, to get checked before it can be locally distributed.

Posted By: fishtruck Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/05/13 12:25 AM
Nada!
Posted By: JKB Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/05/13 12:25 AM
Mine made it. Haven't seen it yet tho.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/05/13 12:52 AM
Thanks to those that sent thought and prayers to my family on the passing of my FIL.. He was a great man that would do anything for anyone.. Already missing his stories!!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/05/13 01:39 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family as well, outdoorlivin247, so sorry for your loss!

Keith
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/05/13 06:14 PM
Got mine
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Boss Magazine is here!!! - 09/06/13 06:56 PM
Mine came yesterday.
© Pond Boss Forum