Pond Boss
Posted By: DMRBG Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 02:40 AM
So, my dad has an unhealthy obsession with 4# Royal Bonnyl fishing line for trout fishing (he refuses to use anything else). The line was discontinued a long time ago and his 700 yard spool is running low. Luckily, last night I found 64 x 100 yard spools of it on ebay. I talked to my dad and he said to buy it all. So... now I'm the proud owner of 6400 yards of soon to be gifted 1980's german fishing line. At a rate of 100 yards a year, (which is excessive) he has enough to last him until he is 122 years old. I hope he uses it all smile
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 03:41 AM
cool

You're a good son.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 04:11 AM
I remember the Royal Bonnyl back in the 70's. I think it was still available into the 90's? I liked it.
Posted By: esshup Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 05:14 AM
I liked it as well. Momo degrades in sunlight and heat. Check the stuff that you bought when it arrives. Make sure it doesn't have a memory, and test it's knot and breaking strength against it's rated strength, just because it's old.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 05:17 AM
Yikes, I couldn't imagine using 20+ year old mono line even if it was kept in a dark cool place. Time for me to start respooling all my reels.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 09:40 AM
Great story.
Posted By: DMRBG Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I liked it as well. Momo degrades in sunlight and heat. Check the stuff that you bought when it arrives. Make sure it doesn't have a memory, and test it's knot and breaking strength against it's rated strength, just because it's old.

Yep, I'm planning on testing the knot strength before I give it to him and I asked the seller if she knew where the line was stored, house, garage, basement, outside etc. I haven't heard back on that one yet. I do know, it is coming from up state NY and it doesn't get terribly hot up there which is good.

The spool he has been using for many years by splicing more on every season instead of respooling to make it last still works for him so I'm hopeful this line is good too.
Posted By: esshup Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 12:47 PM
If you can swipe a spool from him, respool it with this . I'll bet he won't know the difference. I like it, or the Ultra green.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 12:49 PM
That's good stuff.
Posted By: DMRBG Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/28/12 01:17 PM
Esshup, I'll have to keep that in mind if the 3 1/2 miles of RB I just bought are junk. Thanks for the tip. I was actually looking at that stuff when I was researching good mono fishing line until I found the ebay sale of RB.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/29/12 10:20 AM
3.5 miles and not sure it is viable. Gotta laugh about that kind of obsession. Yeah, I've done that stuff a lot of times.

My wife recently asked if I knew that I have 17 Ambassadeur and Shimano casting reels waiting to be cleaned and/or repaired.
Posted By: DMRBG Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 03/29/12 11:55 AM
Ya, it was amusing. I only bought 600 yards (3 packs of 200) at first. Then I told my dad I found it and got it for him and he said, "Do they have any more? Buy it all!" and so my purchase of 3 packs became 32 packs.

The line was from an old fishing store that went out of business in upstate NY (I'm amazed they still had the line) so I don't think it was exposed to many hot days (not in a storage shed or something). It is still in the original packaging and outer packaging for 6 packs so I don't think it got much UV.
Posted By: jrilis Re: Royal Bonnyl - random - 07/25/13 11:33 AM
I would like to buy some 4 lb test Royal Bonnly fishing line. 507 421 2864 Minnesota

Thanks

RJ
© Pond Boss Forum