Pond Boss
Posted By: rmedgar 'morning Dave - 05/04/11 08:21 AM
Hi Gov, just wanted to see if I can get up before you once in my life. Going to a Bluegrass Festival in Denton, NC and need to get
an early start...
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 'morning Dave - 05/04/11 09:45 AM
Dang Randy, sleep deprivation could be fatal for an old goat like you.
Posted By: Brettski Re: 'morning Dave - 05/04/11 10:31 AM
old goats and bluegrass
sounds like a book
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: 'morning Dave - 05/04/11 02:32 PM
green grass and high tides? sounds like a song. smile
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: 'morning Dave - 05/04/11 03:33 PM
Positive proof that the aged require less sleep.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 'morning Dave - 05/05/11 01:43 AM
Old goats and bluegrass and watermelon wine.

Heck Dud, some of us lay up in the sack until 9:33 AM.
Posted By: Sniper Re: 'morning Dave - 05/05/11 11:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Willis

Pretty close. High Tide and Green Grass was the name of a Rolling Stones album, circa '65 or '66.
Posted By: Brettski Re: 'morning Dave - 05/05/11 01:08 PM
closer
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: 'morning Dave - 05/05/11 01:20 PM
The Outlaws! smile
Posted By: Dwight Re: 'morning Dave - 05/05/11 01:43 PM
Bluegrass King
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: 'morning Dave - 05/05/11 05:09 PM
Had not seen that one, Dwight! Darn good version, too. smile
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: 'morning Dave - 05/05/11 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Brettski

No, Brettski, this is "Closer!" You were thinking of Nine Inch Nails, right? grin
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 07:20 AM
You up yet Dave? I'm probably waking up most days close to when you're heading to bed...
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 09:50 AM
I'm up at 215 everyday (SUCKS!!!)... For the last 4 weeks and nexts 3 weeks then back to 4am rise and shine..
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 11:21 AM
Travis, I slept in until 4:00 this morning. After a cup of coffee I started working on an Ambassadeur reel that is giving me fits. Then on to the computing thang.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 01:39 PM
Get a revo you won't have that problem smile
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 01:57 PM
I bought 7 of these things the other day for $75.00. I'm retired and this and old Coleman Lanterns keeps me out of the pool halls.
Posted By: esshup Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 02:41 PM
Dave, do you know anything about old Dietz Little Wizard lanterns? I have a couple that would be considered old even by your standards that I pulled out of Dad's garage. They've been hanging in the rafters since the mid '50's and he got them from his Dad.

One globe is clear, the other 3 are red.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 04:06 PM
Not sure about Little Wizards but Dietz's are pretty common in antique stores and generally go for about $10 to $30. I have my Grandparents but it has parts missing. I may buy one just to rob parts and get it going.

Right now I'm working on restoring an American Gas Machine Lantern from the 30's or 40's. Parts aren't available so I'm scrounging and fabricating.

My biggest recent disappointment was a Coleman made in 1946. It worked perfectly so there was no reason to tear it down.
Posted By: Brettski Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 07:08 PM
Is this what I have to look forward to at retirement?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 07:39 PM
Nah, you'll probably be doing Europe.

Actually I enjoy doing these things. They challenge my mind more than crossword puzzles do.

The biggest problem most retirees have is ideas about $. I've talked this over with a bunch of them and all of us feel it. OK, you spend a bunch of years doing productive things and getting paid to do it. In other words, you give value and get value for your accomplishments. Money is always coming in.

And then you have no cash coming in. That takes some getting used to. However, you play golf or go fishing or something. That's OK for awhile but gets old. Then one day you spend $10 and realize that you can never replace it. And, you aren't real sure how long you will live. No matter how much $ you have, you never know whether it is enough.

Some day George, Bing, Randy and I will tell you what it's like to be 16 years old trapped in a worn out, defective, body.
Posted By: Brettski Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 08:18 PM
You, George, and Bing...OK, I'll buy that.
Randy? No way! He's got Europe written all over him.
Posted By: ewest Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Willis

Outlaws anyone?

In a place you only dream of, where your soul is always free
Silver stages, golden curtains, filled my head plain as could be
As a rainbow grew around the sun, all the stars I've loved, who died
Came from somewhere beyond the scene you see, these lovely people played just for me

/ Em G C CD / / / Em G C - - - /

Now if I let you see this place where stories all ring true
Then will you let me past your face to see what's really you
It's not for me I ask this question as though I were a king
For you have to love, believe and feel, before the burst of tambourines take you there

{Refrain}
Green grass and high tides forever
Castles of stone, soul and glory
Lost faces say we adore you
As kings and queens bow and play for you

/ G C G C / / / G F C - /

Those who don't believe me, find your souls and set them free
Those who do, believe and know that time will be your key
Time and time again I've thanked them for a peace of mind
That helped me find myself amongst the music and the rhyme that enchants you there

{Refrain}

Posted By: Dave Willis Re: 'morning Dave - 05/06/11 09:45 PM
Ewest - I'm impressed. I must admit that I was even more impressed as Bob Lusk continued to text me all the words to a John Michael Mongtomery song as I drove home from PB IV. smile You know the song -- you heard it at Buzzard's that first night. Ha!
Posted By: ewest Re: 'morning Dave - 05/07/11 01:36 AM
Great song and band - too bad the core died early.

Outlaws founding member Henry Paul told Songfacts that this song is not about marijuana, but about deceased rock and roll luminaries, and the title, he says, was taken from the 1966 "Best Of" collection by the Rolling Stones called Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass):

"From what I gather, there was an album out, the best of The Rolling Stones, called 'High Tides and Green Grass.' That was the name of the Rolling Stones' greatest hits - this is like 1966 - and I think it was a manifestation of that title turned in reverse, 'Green Grass and High Tides.' I know that much. And I know that it was a song written for rock and roll illuminaries, from Janis Joplin to Jimi Hendrix, and it had nothing to do with marijuana. But it had to do with, I think, a specific person's [Thomasson's] lyrical look at rock and roll legends. 'As kings and queens bow and play for you.' It's about Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. 'Castles of stone, soul and glory.' A lot of it is just sort of a collage of words that really don't have all that much to do with anything, they just fit and sounded right. But I have to say it's one of my favorite lyrics. My songwriting is more Steinbeck, really rooted in accuracy and reality; this is definitely Alice In Wonderland. It's the whole 'White Rabbit.' It's sort of like one of those magic lyrical moments that will forever be mysteriously, unclearly conceived."

Great guitar work. As good as you can find. If these two would have lived they would have rivaled Skynyrd and the Allman Bros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 'morning Dave - 05/07/11 02:32 AM
I shall not go silently. I'll be kicking and taking a poke at something.
Posted By: Sniper Re: 'morning Dave - 05/07/11 12:36 PM
Those who can remember the sixties weren't there.
Posted By: Sniper Re: 'morning Dave - 05/07/11 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I shall not go silently. I'll be kicking and taking a poke at something.

Maybe we need to send in Seal Team 6.
© Pond Boss Forum