Pond Boss
Posted By: Dwight Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 02:01 AM
A bullet went through her head. Skunks aren’t supposed to be walking around in the daytime even when pregnant.

Gail, who is normally a compassionate person, said she was glad it was dead and there would be no babies.

I intended to move it off the yard but I couldn’t handle it in my olfactory. Maybe after it freezes tonight it won’t be stinking to high Heaven…....C'mon stink!

(I can take a photo in the morning if anyone is interested) crazy
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 03:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
...but I couldn’t handle it in my olfactory.

Maybe if you moved it to the new factory (is that what you call the workshop?), you could handle it. grin

(I can take a photo in the morning if anyone is interested) crazy

Of course we're interested! Seriously. Who here doesn't like pics of dead stuff? laugh
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 12:22 PM
Where's Tan? Send him out there to drag it off! Make him earn his keep! sick
Send it to Ken. He'll cook it for the next get together of East Coast drunks.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 12:55 PM
Pepe LeBremer
Posted By: Shorty Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 12:56 PM
Dwight, next time try a double lung shot. Trappers say a double lung shot is far less likely to create a stink when dispatching Mr. Stinky. A head shot almost guarantees your olfactory sense will get offended. grin
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 01:36 PM
Man, Dwight, what did that skunk ever do to you?

You might just have to burn it now.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138

Of course we're interested! Seriously. Who here doesn't like pics of dead stuff? laugh

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

There may have been allegations of alcohol consumption, but we categorically deny that any one of the participants was drunk! And it would take severe drunkenness to get any of us to consume a skunk! grin
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 02:27 PM

Awwww! How cute! Looks like he's taking a nap!
Dwight if you got that close for a photo it can't stink that bad. grin
Or is that a satellite photo.
The skunk looks like it was healthy. What is it's relative weight?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 03:50 PM
Maybe you should age the skunk with an otillith (sp?) examination?
Posted By: the stick Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 04:25 PM
Dwight, There is a dead squirrel on Lincoln Street straight north of Jimmy Jo's shop if you would like to add that to your gut pile.
Posted By: ewest Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/20/11 09:46 PM
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Or is that a satellite photo.

Nope its by his remote inspecting atv robot.

Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Nope Tan is busy chasing Furhead Wheelchock.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
Man, Dwight … You might just have to burn it now.

Nope throw it in the pond for the NP to eat – everyone knows they eat anything.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/21/11 02:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

There may have been allegations of alcohol consumption, but we categorically deny that any one of the participants was drunk! And it would take severe drunkenness to get any of us to consume a skunk! grin

We just got back about an hour ago from our trip to Pond Boss IV. (We took a slight detour on our way back.)

Dwight -- because of our delay in getting back from the conference, if you want to send it out as Dave D., suggested, send it first to Cecil so he can get the good meat out, while salvaging the pelt for a nice hat. Please ask Cecil to send the remaining part of the carcass to Sunil to remove the otolith so we can properly determine the age. And Sunil, please send the remainder of the remainder to Todd to store until we can all get together and properly cook this thing once we know how old it is.

I'd store it in my freezer, but ESSHUP and I swapped some various body parts before we left the conference, and my freezer is again full.

Good Eatin'
Ken

And it would take severe drunkenness to get any of us to consume a skunk! grin

Just how severe??? crazy
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/21/11 02:57 AM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Nope Tan is busy chasing Furhead Wheelchock.

I know it is springtime, and love is supposed to be in the air, but didn't they both take a life-altering ride into town with Dwight?
Posted By: ewest Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/21/11 02:04 PM
Furhead had babies so I don't know if she has since been fixed. I can't keep all the cats straight. Just cause Tan was fixed dosen't mean he is not a Tom - plus he dosen't like work.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/21/11 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Furhead had babies so I don't know if she has since been fixed. I can't keep all the cats straight. Just cause Tan was fixed dosen't mean he is not a Tom - plus he dosen't like work.

For ewest, I will summarize.

The Insiders:

Buck is the elder (17 years) house cat. He has his back claws and is unaffected by female pheromones. He has never encountered a live mouse and even if he did he wouldn’t remember it.

Tan is the office cat. He has all his claws and is unaffected by female pheromones. He likes an occasional mouse until they quit moving. At that point he brings them to me for approval. Tan also enjoys Mule rides and being out on the Barge in the summer. He will go for a swim on his own volition when the water is over 60 F or so (he uses the paw test).

Zeke is the young house cat. He has no claws and is unaffected by female pheromones. He has never encountered a live mouse. If he did he would play it until he lost it under a piece of furniture (where 30 odd fake mice and toys reside). His favorite thing is find the highest perch where he shouldn’t be and look down on Gail and me.

The Outsiders:

Furhead is a fully functional baby shooter and wheel chock as well. She was run over back a pickup truck about a month ago, feared dead, and then recovered; blind in one eye though.

Sorry to say the 8 other Outsiders haven’t names. They are lucky if they live 5 or 6 years in the semi-wild. One male and one female are human friendly albeit warily. The others are wild as the wind except when the food pan is filled each morning.

I am looking for a cat that will charge across the surface of the water and bite the heads off cormorants. The occasional skunk, I can handle myself.
Posted By: ewest Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/22/11 12:59 AM
Let Sue name the unnamed outsiders.
Posted By: esshup Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 04/22/11 08:27 AM
Just to make this clear, Ken and I traded venison body parts, not human. grin (and I ended up leaving my pastrami in texas, dang it. I didn't even get to taste it!)
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/08/11 12:23 AM
I leaded another stink-walker that was staggering down the driveway in the middle of the day. It was 92 degrees at the time with a 30 mph wind.

Shooting a skunk from up wind is always a good plan no matter the wind speed. eek

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/08/11 12:36 AM
I leaded another stink-walker that was staggering down the driveway in the middle of the day. It was 92 degrees at the time with a 30 mph wind.

Shooting a skunk from up wind is always a good plan no matter the wind speed. eek

Poor skunk. From the description of it's actions, and from the picture, I'm guessing it might have been involved in emptying some of those bouy's on Dwight's Christmas Tree project.
Posted By: esshup Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/08/11 04:33 AM
Dwight, you did good. There's no good reason for that skunk to be out in those conditions.

Now the question is, how did you remove it after it met it's demise?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/08/11 02:05 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Dwight, you did good. There's no good reason for that skunk to be out in those conditions.

Now the question is, how did you remove it after it met it's demise?

After documenting the occasion I let him cure in the hot sun for a couple hours. Then, deftly (with gloved hand) picked him up by the scruff of the neck, carried him over to and tossed him into the mighty Rock River. Burial as river, as it were.
Posted By: esshup Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/08/11 04:00 PM
That's one way to get the stench to leave! grin
Posted By: the stick Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/08/11 05:24 PM
Osama Bin Skunk
Posted By: JKB Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/08/11 10:52 PM
My thoughts are: Lead activated skunks are more troublesome than the happy-go-lucky skunk, who of course, silently announces his/her arrival and passing, well before and after the events take place. But, a lead conditioned skunk, will stay with you for as long as you deem appropriate, and that creates more actions and less than comfortable conditions for the lead-er. grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/09/11 05:21 AM
Believe it or not, you CAN inject chloroform into a caged (live trap)skunks lungs without them spraying (hypodermic needle on a stick) and they will die without making a stink.

But, if they look at you and do a little dance with their front feet, back away quickly before they turn around..... laugh
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/09/11 01:53 PM
Live skunk contact via air transported projectile remains my preferred technique.

Syringe on a stick is far too intimate.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/09/11 03:47 PM

And besides, it sounds more like a food treat you'd find at the New Jersey State Fair. Probably batter dipped and deep fried. grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/09/11 04:55 PM

And besides, it sounds more like a food treat you'd find at the New Jersey State Fair. Probably batter dipped and deep fried. grin

Todd, I don't think that Ken would even try that! laugh
Posted By: JKB Re: Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Yard - 06/09/11 11:35 PM
Now I understand Dwight! grin

© Pond Boss Forum