Pond Boss
Posted By: rmedgar Ghost shrimp - 10/08/08 12:34 AM
Hey Bobad, I've been thinking about adding ghost shrimp. Is it too late for them to reproduce? A pet store in town was selling them for $1.00/12. My pond is down about 1' of shoreline, so there is no grass hanging over in the water for them.
Thanks, Randy
Posted By: bobad Re: Ghost shrimp - 10/08/08 02:13 PM
Hi Randy,

Although I found one carrying eggs about 2 weeks ago, I think it's too late for them to reproduce.

You can still stock them while they are available, and they will reproduce in the spring. Season or water temp should be no problem, as shrimp are pretty hardy.

If you have even a little weed, grass, or algae growth, they will avoid predation just fine. I don't really know, but I suspect the fish take a while to learn to use the transparent creatures as a food source.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Ghost shrimp - 10/08/08 03:49 PM
Thanks, we are finally getting a little rain, so maybe my pond will rise enough to cover some of the over-hanging grass.
Think I'll gather my life savings and go buy a couple of dozen and see what happens. I'll let you know in the spring.
Posted By: bobad Re: Ghost shrimp - 10/08/08 05:35 PM
Randy, it's just crazy they are so expensive. They reproduce extremely well, and aren't hard to raise at all. I stocked about 150 in my pond last March, and I bet I have many thousands now.
Posted By: RB Blackshear Re: Ghost shrimp - 10/09/08 02:24 AM
Hey check out boxlotfish.com. They sell bulk quantities of ghost shrimp. They are named glass shrimp or something similar, but I believe they are the same. I was going to order some but I think the winter water temps will kill the lil guys. Good luck. Hope this helps

RB
Posted By: bobad Re: Ghost shrimp - 10/09/08 02:45 PM
RB,

Looks like $30.00 plus shipping for 700 shrimp. Excellent!

http://boxlotfish.com/product_info.php?products_id=1491&osCsid=24f3409e748ba39e21328b2ba3234fea
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Ghost shrimp - 10/09/08 11:27 PM
Thanks RB!!
Posted By: RB Blackshear Re: Ghost shrimp - 10/10/08 02:48 PM
No problem guys. Let me know how it works because in the spring/summer time I may order some when the water temp is warm enough for these guys to thrive
© Pond Boss Forum