Pond Boss
Posted By: ashannon Well i'm going to do it.... - 08/29/07 12:41 AM
Ive decided i'm going to finally get a pond built on our place. It's in Texas between Lampasas and Burnet. I need about a 200 foot dam built and will have around 140 acres of watershed leading down to the dam. A couple questions -

Does anyone know someone in this area that builds ponds they can give me the contact information for?

What do you guys think it'll cost to get a 200 foot dam built? Any idea on the range of cost?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Well i'm going to do it.... - 08/29/07 01:54 AM
How tall? What are your soils like?
Posted By: ashannon Re: Well i'm going to do it.... - 08/29/07 05:51 PM
It's about 10-12 feet tall. The soil is something I'm not sure about and quite frankly am nervous about. A little bit further down the previous owner pushed some dirt up and it holds water well, but who knows. I obviously dont want to spend money and then it just drains away through the soil. Do most guys in this business do jobs per hour, per acre, per project, or what?
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Well i'm going to do it.... - 08/29/07 06:14 PM
With a 12 ft high dam,12 ft wideat top, 3/1 slope on front, and 4/1 slope on back with 3 ft deep core trench you are looking at about 7600 yds of dirt to build the dam. Generally it's best to get a price per yard up front and have a fixed price agreement with contractor. I paid 1.30 $ per yard last year when I had a 20,000 yd dam built. If you plan on driving across the dam 12 ft is minimal. You may want to go wider if that is the case. Good luck.
Posted By: ashannon Re: Well i'm going to do it.... - 08/29/07 07:26 PM
That helps tremendously. I took a look at your website and your ponds are nice. That clay looks like the perfect ingredient.

I'll see what happens. I found someone i'm going to meet out there on Friday.
© Pond Boss Forum